Increase a pattern size

I just got Erika Knight’s book, “Knitting for Two: 20 Simple Designs for Expectant (and New) Mommies and Babies”, and I was wondering if there is a way to increase the size of the pattern for the “Lacy Bonnet” in her book, because the pattern is for a 6-9 month old, but I need it to fit a 12 month old with a big head! :lol: If I used slightly bigger needles, might that work? Help!

http://sweetgeorgia.planetfishdesign.com/archives/images/2005/02/2005-02-25_bonnet30571220.jpg

This bonnet is very popular around here! I bought the book just for that pattern, though I haven’t made it, yet. I’m sure you can make it bigger with larger needles and/or yarn, but you’d probably have to experiment to see how much bigger it gets.

It’s just too adorable to nix just because of the size, you know?

Actually, Julie made one for the Compassionate Knit Along and it was tiny.

I made two sweaters from the exact same pattern with different yarn and needles and, boy, there was a huge difference. It’s definitely worth a try.

Love that hat!!

OMG what a beautiful hat!!! Now I need to get pregnant again just so I can knit one!!! LOL!! :rofling:

I’ve made several of the regular size (as written), then I made it with fingering weight yarn on tiny needles for the KAL…I wouldn’t hesitate to try it with worsted weight yarn on 6s or 7s. :smiley: