Inc or dec for multiples of 4 +2....help!?!?

Hello i’m new here and i found out about knittinghelp.com from watching Knitty Gritty on DIY. Thank you Amy Finlay

Right now i’m knitting a Sampler Shrugthat was on one of the episodes.

There’s one row i’m a little confused about. Row 42-49…part of it reads:
…inc or dec on the last garter row at either end to achieve a multiple of 4 + 2…

So say that i’m working starting with 34 sts on the needle. i inc at the beginning of the row. does it mean i should now have a total of 36 stitches? Also, do i inc at the beginning and at the end of the row? i really think i’m messing things up so i don’t want to go any further until i know for sure.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They want you to increase or decrease so that your total number of stitches is a multiple of 4 + 2 more.

34 stitches is a multiple of 4 + 2—8 x 4 = 32 + 2 = 34
36 is a multiple of 4, but without the + 2.
The next multiple of 4 + 2 would be 38—36 + 2

So basically your stitch count must be X times 4 + 2.

Make sense?

I think i got it. But does it mean i should have the same amount of stitches on the needle even after i increase? i do have to practice some on a swatch just to see what it looks like but i think i got the principle. It just seems like i’m doing it all wrong.

I think that since you can adjust the size in the beginning by casting on any even number of stitches, at this point in the pattern you need to adjust that number to be a 4 + 2, if necessary.

If you’re sticking with the pattern, you should be ok.

Thanks so much. i really appreciate the help.