[Inc 2,P3tog] help needed

I am adapting Ada Fenicks block from “The Great American Afghan”. She calls for a Inc2,P3tog but does not suggest what Inc2 to use.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Below is a link to someone beautifully finished block.

Thanks in advance for your help

Any idea which part of the block it is part of? And it might be helpful to have the Inc2, P3tog a little more in context if that is possible. A row or two above and below might help.

If you look at the link it is the ground like area below and to the left of the tree.

Row1; Purl
Row2; [Inc2,P3tog]
Row3; Purl
Row4;[P3tog,Inc2]
Row5; Purl
Etc
I hope I explained that ok.

this is used as a background stitch on several projects I’ve done. I usually do (knit, yarnover, knit) into a single stitch for the increase.

Thank you. Do you think I should do P,yo,P because it is with so many purl stitches? Or use the K, yo, K as you suggested?

I would use the knit stitchess to give more contrast with the purled decreases - I’ve seen several variations on this filler stitch and they all used the p3tog for the decrease, and all used some sort of (mostly) knit increase. (knit front, back, front again, or (knit1, p1, knit 1) into single stitch.
I haven’t seen a variation with a purled increase; which is not to say one doesn’t exist, or couldn’t be done if you like the look.

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

You are most cordially welcome!

I am trying a square in the Great American Aran Afghan and the directions are to M1R; increase 2 by having you knit into back and front, then insert left needle behing the vertical strand that runs between 2stiches just made…really struggling with this…is there a video that demonstrates?

I don’t know if there is. But if you do the inc - knit into the back, then the front - you’ll see the strand of yarn between the 2 of them and poking your left needle into it and lifting it, you’ll be able to knit it as well. Practice it on a sampler of about 10 sts, and you might also try knit front, back ,front and see if that’ll work for the look of the pattern.