I'm stuck with a pattern, please help!

I’m doing a left front border of a childs hooded cardigan. I have picked up 109 sts as per the pattern and worked 3 rows of rib. Next row says Rib4, cast of 1 St, (rib 23, cast of 1 st) 4 times, rib 3.
However I end up with 13 sts, not 3. I cannot figure out where I am going wrong.
Can anybody please help me?

Welcome to the forum!
How are you counting the 23sts between cast offs? Since it takes 2sts to cast off one stitch, you’re left with one stitch on the right hand needle after the cast off. Don’t count that as one of the “rib 23”.
To start the row, rib 4, rib 2more sts, lift the 2nd stitch over the first then rib another 23. There’ll be the rib 4 on the right hand needle, a gap where the stitch was bound off, then 24 rib sts before you work the second cast off.

What is the name of your pattern?

Thank you so much for your help. I realised I wasn’t counting my 2 cast offs. So I rib 4 then 2 for cast off, then (rib 23 and 2 for cast off) 4 times and ended up with the 3 rib. Perfect. I haven’t done buttonholes for years, I’ve been mostly crocheting but it’s all coming back to me now. The pattern is Stylecraft 9758. I’m doing the hooded version.
Thanks again for your help :pray::grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Seriously adorable.

We’d love to see a photo when you finish!

Oh yes most definitely!