I'm stuck and need help!

Okay, I’m making some baby booties and I’m totally stuck and I’m about to freak out because I really want to finish these tonight!! Here’s where I’m stuck…

[SIZE=2][B][I]This section is the top of the bootie[/I] (Blocks Pattern).
k9, p2, k2, p2, leave remaining sts unworked.
Slip all sts with yarn in front:
Row 1: Sl 1 from left to right needle, turn, p1, k2, p2, k2
Row 2: Sl 1, turn, p1, k2, p2, k2, p1
Row 3: Sl 1, turn, (k2, p2) twice, k1
Row 4: Sl 1, turn, (k2, p2) twice, k2
Row 5: Sl 1, turn, k1, (p2, k2) twice, p2
Row 6: Sl 1, turn, k1, (p2, k2) twice, p2, k1
Row 7: Sl 1, turn, (p2, k2) 3 times, p1
Row 8: Sl 1, turn, (p2, k2) 3 times, p2
Row 9: Sl 1, turn, p1, (k2, p2) 3 times, k2
Row 10: Sl 1, turn, p1, (k2, p2) 3 times, k2, p1, k4 to end of row.
Row 11: p4, k1, (p2, k2) 3 times, p2, k1, p4[/B][/SIZE]

I’m more than halfway through the row and it tells me to leave the remaining stitches unworked, slip them and then start the next row. How do I do this? I’ve never made booties or socks or anything like that. These are made on two needles…and between slipping stitches and turning work, I don’t get it…please explain it to me…I’m confused and on the verge of breakdown!! Thanks so much!!!

Where it says to leave the sts unworked, you turn as if you were finished the row.

Where it says to slip all sts, it’s just to let you know HOW to slip the sts in the instructions to follow. I thought the same as you when I first read it.

I can’t really explain what all the rows mean, except to say to follow what the pattern says and I’m sure it will work out. Not much reassurance I know, but hopefully while you’re doing it, it will make sense. It sounds like a sort of short row, but it’s not written in a way I’ve seen before.

hey i’ve been looking for a cute pattern for baby booties. do you think you could put the whole pattern up??

http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/baby-child/puffin-baby-hat-booties.html

here’s the full pattern…

Knit4Pie…thanks for trying to explain it to me…but for some reason it’s still not making sense…if I do just as the pattern says, I still end up with one stitch on the needle that doesn’t show how to work it…I’m frustrated and confused…

When you do short rows, you leave one st or several unworked at the end of a row which you will knit later on. Is that the one that you’re wondering about?

When it says to leave the stitches that is probably for the top of the bootie in the middle. (I think).
I usually put them on a holder, then you finish one side of the bootie, then you will eventually pick up the middle again and finish the other side. Thats the way I finish booties. Seems your instructions are pretty much the same.

I think I wrote wrong. Where it says slip all sts with yarn in front??? That must be the wrong side of the work??? Is that correct.?

It looks like only the first stitch of a short row section is slipped and is on both sides. That’s to prevent gaps when you knit across all the sts.

yeah, I’m on the wrong side of the work…

There are 24 sts on my needles, after I’ve completed the k9, p2, k2, p2 (which begins the top of the bootie) I don’t know what to do. I’ve slipped a stitch, turned the work, and once I complete row one, I still have one stitch on the needle that doesn’t say what to do with it…it just goes to the next row. Am I making any sense? When it says to turn, do I just completely turn the work around and knit the same side I just knit? That’s what I was doing…and at the end of row one I still end up with one stitch. Is that considered the beginning of the second row, am I just supposed to slip it and then turn the work? Should I put the 16 sts on a holder while I do this? I’m sorry to be so ignorant…I’m just really confused here.

Perhaps you’ve solved it by now, but I don’t blame you for being confused. Its not the most clearly written pattern I’ve seen! I grabbed some yarn and knit it, and this might make it easier for you:

[COLOR=“Magenta”]This section is the top of the bootie (Blocks Pattern).
k9, p2, k2, p2, leave remaining sts unworked.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“Black”]NOTE: The remaining stitches will gradually become worked in with the others due to the Sl 1’s as you go through the rows. Don’t think about it, just follow the instructions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Magenta”]Slip all sts with yarn in front:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“Black”]NOTE: As someone else pointed out, this instruction is simply telling you how you will be slipping all the following Sl 1’s in the rows to follow. By the way, I slipped purlwise, as slipping knitwise twists the stitch.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Magenta”]Row 1: Sl 1 from left to right needle, turn, p1, k2, p2, k2 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=“Black”]NOTE: The ‘Sl 1, turn’ follows on immediately after the k9, p2, k2, p2 you worked at the start of this section. Just do the k9, p2, k2, p2 and, with the yarn still in front, Sl 1 and turn. THEN work the p1, k2, p2, k2 that is Row 1.

SO… :think: I think its confusing because the pattern puts the Sl 1 at the beginning of every row, then says "turn… " whereas the ‘Sl 1, turn’ comes at the end of the row that came before. Sounds muddled, I know, but do it in the following way and see how you go:
[/COLOR]

:thumbsup:
[COLOR=“Blue”][B](Slip all sts purlwise, with yarn in front.)[/B]

Set-up row: k9, p2, k2, p2, Sl 1 from left to right needle, turn.
Row 1: p1, k2, p2, k2, Sl 1, turn.
Row 2: p1, k2, p2, k2, p1, Sl 1, turn.
Row 3: (k2, p2) twice, k1, Sl 1, turn.
Row 4: (k2, p2) twice, k2, Sl 1, turn.
Row 5: k1, (p2, k2) twice, p2, Sl 1, turn.
Row 6: k1, (p2, k2) twice, p2, k1, Sl 1, turn.
Row 7: (p2, k2) 3 times, p1, Sl 1, turn.
Row 8: (p2, k2) 3 times, p2, Sl 1, turn.
Row 9: p1, (k2, p2) 3 times, k2, Sl 1, turn.
Row 10: p1, (k2, p2) 3 times, k2, p1, k4 to end of row.
Row 11: p4, k1, (p2, k2) 3 times, p2, k1, p4[/COLOR]

You are my hero!!! :yay: Thank you soooooooooo much!!! I just finished the first one and it’s tooo cute! I can’t wait for my little one to be born in December so I can use them! THANK YOU!!! :slight_smile:

December! Congratulations!
My daughter is due in December, between the 15th and 18th, and we found out last week its a girl. :woot: Lots of knitting for me to do.

Best wishes for a healthy happy pregnancy and birth.