I'm stuck again!

Alright, so I ran into another little thing I’m not sure of. Here is the link to the pattern I am attempting:

I have finished Square 1 and am stuck on the beginning of the next Square. It says: "With RS facing, pick up and knit 22 sts along CO edge of Square 1.

I watched the video on this site for picking up stitches. I get the concept, but the directions say “pick up and KNIT 22 sts”. Does that mean that I pick up the stitches, turn the work, and knit across once before starting Chart A rows 1-20? Or do I just pick up the stitches, turn the work and then directly start the first row of Chart A (which is a knit row)?

Thanks everyone,
Ve

You pick up the st on the RS and then turn your work (to the WS) and start the chart.

This is one of the more confusing names for a technique.
It’s all part of the same thing: the first new row of stitches is formed when you wrap the needle and pull the yarn through.

It may help to think of it as “pickupandknit.”

Pick up stitches and pick up and knit are often used interchangeably, as I believe it is in this case.

I too would like clarification on this. When I see “pick up and knit” I pick up a stitch, wrap the yarn around the needle and pull through making the stitch and continue in this fashion for the required number of stitches. But if I am suppose to be picking up all of the stitches and then knitting back, that is a whole 'nother animal.

You are doing it correctly. Pick up and knit is bringing the yarn through, just once to create the live stitches.

On occasion a pattern will tell you just to pick up stitches without pulling yarn through, but they’re usually pretty specific about it.

There is never, ever a time when you have to do more than pull the yarn through.

Older instructions have you pick up a stitch by inserting your left needle tip into the already knitted work, and using the the right needle to knit as if it were an actual stitch on the left needle. Most of us now just insert the right needle into the stitch and wrap the yarn arouond it.

Thanks for the clarification on this. I figured that’s what it was, but it sure sounds weird to say “and knit,” or at least to me it does being a beginner. Thanks, Ve