I'm New to knitting...Simple Question for the Experienced

First off my question is…When you get your rows over to the right needle, what do you do then? Do you start purl stitching? Because i’ve just been switching needle with the rows over to my left hand again to repeat the knit stitch process. I’m not sure if I’m doing it right. I’m still on my first “practice piece”.

Okay so I bought my tools about 3 days ago, and sat down to teach myself how to knit. I bought a book, which was a complete waste of money because i’m not good at following pictures, so I logged onto youtube. I don’t understand why, but I COULD NOT understand how to knit-stitch for the longest time. I would get frustrated and put everything down, then get determined and pick it up again, then frustrated again. Then I came across this website and looked at the videos and BY GOLLY! I’ve GOTTEN IT! :woohoo: so i’m really excited and want to get better, but still have a lot of questions, but i’ll get to those once I master the basics. Thanks Guys:thumbsup:

Welcome to knitting and to the forum. I warn you, both can be addictive.

When you knit every row, you end up with what’s called garter stitch. It is a legitimate stitch pattern that is the same on both sides, ridged.

If you knit one row and purl one row, you end up with stockinette stitch, where you have a smooth knit side and a bumpy purl side.

Either way you go is right, but if you just work stockinette without any kind of edging (5 stitches of knit on every row works) it will curl.

first, a very big welcome to the knittinghelp forum. Glad to hear you able to cast on and knit one row by yourself. Now you can either turn the needle around (from right hand to left hand) and continue the knit stitch or you can do the purl stitch so that your knitting has a smooth side and a bumpy side. Good luck.:star: Ellie

Because i’ve just been switching needle with the rows over to my left hand again to repeat the knit stitch process.

That’s correct. Empty needle in right hand, knit everything off the left needle then switch and do it over again.

Welcome…I myself am fairly new to knitting and picked it up quickly. I would recommend buying the CD from knitting help. It is the best $20 I have ever spent! Sometimes I get confused and just pop that baby into my computer and I am back on track!