I'm nervous about trying this

I finished a whole sock. Cuff down. Looks great. Started second sock, got to the heel and realized that I didn’t do enough heel rows on the first sock. I’m using real sock yarn instead of worsted weight so I was pretty excitable and anxious to get it done and misread my hash marks and instead of 32 rows I only did, like, 17. :doh:

So, I thought I’d finish the sock I’m working on, which is done correctly, and then frog the first sock back to just before the heel and start over. I watched Amy’s video about inserting the needle into your destination row before frogging which was a big help but I’m nervous about doing it.

Has anyone done this with a sock? I use dpns by the way and don’t have a cable needle with size 3 points so I can’t put the stitches on a cable needle. Am I whistling Dixie to try this?

What I would do is just pull out the stitches until you’re almost where you want to be. Then pop out one stitch at a time and insert your needle.

Picking up a destination row on thin yarn is not as easy as with thicker yarn, and often you’ll end up picking up on different rows and then doing a lot of futzing with it.

Thanks, Ingrid. That’s exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. I’m worried about just messing the whole thing up (with the obvious accompaniment of coarse language, of course :teehee: ) But, if I do end up frogging the whole thing, the worst thing that happens is that I get the pleasure of knitting the whole sock over again, right?

Exactly. We’re not working with chisels and marble here. :teehee:

Stitches that have been knit don’t [I]want [/I]to run and come undone. They usually stay put long enough for you to slip a needle in.

But, if I do end up frogging the whole thing, the worst thing that happens is that I get the pleasure of knitting the whole sock over again, right?

You have a great attitude about it. Isn’t it nice that socks don’t really take that long?

Amen, sister! I love socks. Such a sense of accomplishment and awe in turning a heel. I get the same feeling every time.

Just an update to let you know that my frogging was successful. Hubby watched me last night and couldn’t believe what I was doing. I didn’t even get frustrated which is a major accomplishment!!! :cheering:

Ingrid, your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you, thank you.

The best thing about this is that I’m already at my favorite part of the sock to knit!! :woohoo: :woohoo: