I'm going to take these DPN's and

It’s fine now. When I did my cast on it was midnight and I was tired. I was determined to make some progress before I went to bed. Bad idea. I figured it out the next day and now it’s smooth sailing. :woot:

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=green]One thing, though…you don’t knit the first row, and THEN join. You cast-on, join, and then knit the first round[COLOR=darkorchid].[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]…atleast that’s how I’ve BEEN doing it. That is right, isn’t it?:??[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes, you’re right. I misspoke (mistyped?) when I wrote that. I did do the join after the cast-on and then did my first knit row.

Just think how freakin’ smart you’re going to feel when you master the doggone things. I feel just a little superior to the other mere mortals when I use DPNs. The shock value from other people’s amazement is worth the time it took to learn to use them. They just look so like you know what you’re doing, and that’s an awesome feeling <g>.

I have started my first hat on circular needles and it is going great. The fun part will be when I get to the dpns. Thank you for the great advise. I will let you know how I get on when I get up to it.

Sandy in N.Z.

I know that frustration level, and its maddening, but hang in there because if I can get the hang of it - anyone can. My problem was always what to do with the extra needles. It was so uncomfortable to try to knit around them, but I eventually found a way to hold them and knit at the same time. I know some of my finished projects didn’t look so great, but I’m getting better with practice. [Now I even like using DPNs.] Hang in there. You’ll master the technique and wonder why you don’t use DPNs all the time.

How’s it goin’??? I absolutely LOVE dpns and when I’m not working with them I get all anxious and then I have to start a sock so I feel better:blooby:

You WILL get to be fast you’ll see. Two things I’ve found:
You know how they are a square? Let them collapse so they become like one, two long needles… except, there are two. on each side. do you know what I mean? Hard to explain but maybe it’s happening for you automatically… ?

The other is always make sure the left needle you are working on is on top of the next needle, the following needle. No 3 needle. Otherwise when you get towards the end they are fighting each other.

Good luck!

I’ve just got to say, this was the best advice besides patience I got!:woot:

For me this post was just spot on!

I screwed up the hat on DPN’s yesterday, but being the determined anal person I am I finally picked the DPN’s again and went to Silvers sock knitting site.

Well, I’m 6 rows into a sock and haven’t mess it up! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

I just kept staring/glaring at the darn things, and learned to use my leg to steady the “non” working needles. I think I understand it!:yay::yay::yay:

I’m sure I’ll mess up but at least I realize now that I can do this.

The glaring at em really helped.:happydance: