I'm going crosseyed looking for this

I was knitting a basket weave, and besides ending up with waaaaayyyyy more stitches than I started with somehow, everytime I would go from a k to a p the stitch was all weird on the needle. I can’t really explain it, but it was like instead of it being in line with the other stitches, it was on top of the needle. Only on the first stitch. and it happens when I go from a purl to a knit… What am I doing wrong and how can I make it stop!

I have to throw out there, that I am a brand spanking new knitter… I just bought my first set of needles on Monday… and while the book I bought couldn’t show how to cast on, this site did! LOL! I’m now a double cast on junkie!

Thanks so much! Karen

You have to be certain that when going between a knit and a purl that you bring the yarn up and between the needles, not laying the yarn over either of the needles. Bringing the yarn actually over the needle creates new stitches, which is possibly how you are ending up increasing your stitch count without meaning to.

Take a look at the video demonstrating ribbing on this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php , under ‘basic stitch patterns’. It doesn’t show the specific stitch pattern that you are working on (basketweave) but it does show how to properly go from knits to purls and purls to knits.

Oh! I wasn’t putting the yarn between I was just going right along as if I were doing a knit or a purl the whole time!

That makes much more sense. I’ll have to try that and see what happens.

Thanks sooooo much!

Karen