I'm following the pattern, but it keeps coming out wrong!

I have spent hours trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I can’t get past the 1st row! This is the pattern:

Cast on 49 stitches
K4
Sl1 K1 PSSO
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
Sl1 K2 tog PSSO
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
Sl K2 tog PSSO
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
Sl 1 K2 tog PSSO
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
K2 tog
K4

I get 3/4 of the way through the row. I’m left with only 4 stitches on the left needle. I still have this much of the pattern left:

YO K1 YO
K3
K2 tog
K4

When I count the stitches on both needles, I have 50…not 49.

Can anyone tell me what I could be doing wrong?

What stitches are you PSSO( pass slip stitch over)?

Julie,

I slip one stitch from the left needle to the right needle without knitting it (Sl 1). Then I knit the next stitch on the left needle. Then, I pass the slipped stitch on the right needle over the knitted stitch on the right needle.

ok thats right :cheering: How about your YOs :??

Okay, I tested this based on what you’ve written and I get the same thing. Do you have a link to the pattern? What is it? Is there any chance you’re reading the pattern incorrectly? :??

Cast on 49 stitches
K4
Sl1 K1 PSSO [color=red]This is a single decrease and the rest are double…is that right?[/color]
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
Sl1 K2 tog PSSO
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
Sl K2 tog PSSO
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
Sl 1 K2 tog PSSO
K3
YO K1 YO
K3
K2 tog [color=red]This is not a sl1 k2tog PSSO like the other decreases?[/color]
K4 [color=red]This k4 seems random in the middle of the pattern…it should be the end? [/color]

I get 3/4 of the way through the row. I’m left with only 4 stitches on the left needle. I still have this much of the pattern left:

YO K1 YO
K3
K2 tog
K4

The pattern is a “Pattern Chart.” I used the chart legend and wrote the row out on a piece of paper because I do better with words than symbols. I have compared the symbols to the legend over & over again to make sure I did not write it incorrectly.

The Sl1 K1 PSSO is a single decrease. The rest are Sl1 K2 tog PSSO.

The 2nd to last K2 tog is the last stitch of the pattern.

The K4 is at the end. You knit the 1st four stitches of the row (K4), work the pattern (using 41 stitches) to the last 4 stitches, which are knit (k4).

Well if it’s all written correctly I suspect there must be an error in the pattern. Ugh…I hate that! :wall: You could look online to see if there is a correction for it.

I agree, it does sound like an error. You might check that sites errata page for some corrections to it.

Jan,

I figured it out! It wasn’t the pattern. It was me! It was the YO K1 YO that messed me up. I was thinking YO = putting the yarn in front and knitting the next stitch. However, YO = the act of putting the yarn in front. I was knitting an extra stitch! I was doing: YO K1 YO K1 K3 when I should have been doing: YO K1 YO K3.

By the way, I love your quote about the cat hair! I have two cats. I can relate.

Karen

The pattern is not online (that I know of). I got it from a knitting store in Plymouth MA. It’s for a Super Kid Mohair Scarf knitted with Le Fibre Nobili Imperiale mohair yarn made by the Plymouth Yarn Co (no relation to Plymouth MA). What is the website you mentioned for patterns? I’m not familiar with it. I think it is great that you are a guy knitter. There is a guy on the commuter rail train that I take to work who is learning how to knit. I never understood why it was considered a woman’s hobby. I think it all started with sailors…

Let us know if that works for you because that IS the way I was doing it …I think…and it still came out with 4 at the end and not enough to finish. :??

Glad you figured it out! :cheering: :cheering:

Glad you figured it out cause Satellite went down :!!!:

Jan,

It did work. There should be four stitches left. You knit the 1st four stitches on the row, then work the pattern to the last four stitches, which you knit.