Ignoring a stitch

Hello,

I’m super new to knitting (ie. I know knit and purl and just learned how to work with two colours in one pattern) and I’m trying a new coaster pattern that requires adding and removing stitches.

The pattern asks for:

CO 7 sts.
Row 1: K1, yo, k5 (ignore last stitch). (8 sts)
Row 2: Turn, yarn to back, slip 1 stitch; knit to st
end of row. (Outside edge)

Row 3: K2, yo, k4. (9 sts)
Row 4: Turn, yarn to back, slip 1 stitch; knit to st
end of row.

(continues on like that)

I have a few questions:

1. I’m not sure what it means by ignoring last stitch - does that mean to just slip the stitch knitwise? Or would I do something else?

2. When I turn and put the yarn to back, how am I supposed to do that before slipping a stitch? Isn’t the yarn technically already at the back when I slip, or am I supposed to do that after I slip? Because if so, that means the line of yarn between the last knitted stitch and the slipped stitch shows really obviously.

3. When it says to knit 4 stitches, I’m assuming I’m supposed to ignore the last two stitches, but again, that means when I do that and turn the yarn, the yarn is after the two top stitches, and I don’t understand how that’s supposed to work.

The pattern is too big to attach, but I can add photos and/or copy and paste the pattern with the proper credit. I’m super lost on it, and it doesn’t seem like it should be that hard…

Thanks for the help! If you need anything clarified, let me know.

When it says to turn, ignoring the last stitch, it means to turn as you would at the end of a row. So, leave that last stitch on the left hand needle, turn, and bring the yarn to the back between the needles. Now you can proceed with the next row. These are a kind of short rows where not all the sts are worked on every row.

Is your pattern online? Could you give a link to it?

Yeah, the pattern I’m working on is available here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/twinkle-coasters

So to clarify: if I ignore the last stitch, when I turn the work and start on the next row, after I’ve slipped the stitch I will have two stitches on my right hand needle, correct?

Correct. That’s a cute pattern, I saved it. I have some leftover yarn I think I’ll use to make one. Thanks for the link.