Ideas for a knitting course

Assume you would be the teacher for a knitting course with total beginners. The course would be once a week and the total course time is 8x1.5h. The participants will knit either a pair of socks or a pair of mittens (their choice) by knitting at the lessons and some knitting at home between the lessons.

Would you have them to begin with mittens or socks directly or would you take a very small introduction project first? If your would take a small introduction project, what would it be?

All participants will be equipped with 3.5mm needles and aran yarn.

1 Like

I would start with practicing knitting at first. Mostly because everyone will be at different skill levels and they won’t be able to keep up with each other.

I’ve taught both kids and adult knitting classes and I cast on 10 sts for each student for the first class. Then they learn the knit stitch. We practice that until they feel comfortable with it. Then the next few weeks we focus on the purl stitch. Then we put them both together in the stockinette stitch. Depending on how many students you have, that part could take 2-3 weeks.

Maybe you could ask your students what they want to work on after the knit/purl sts are learned.

Knitcindy

3 Likes

I agree with knitcindy you have to teach basics first, I was constantly surprised to find adult students did not know how to make a slip knot so that was my starting point leading to casting on, the knit stitch and bind off. I found the simplest project like a cup/mug sleeve with instructions gave students something to take home after lesson 1 and encouraged them to return for lesson 2. I made instruction/information leaflets from Lionbrand http://lionbrand.com/learn/how-to-knit. I hope you enjoy teaching as much as I did.

3 Likes