I was wondering

Is it possible to knit with thread? I mean the type of thread used to crochet doilies. I have tons of that and i’m not really crocheting too much right now and wondered if it can be used for knitting. Thanks!

I would think you could but it may be kind of uncomfortable because the needle size would be so small. Maybe you could double it and that would be sort of close to sock yarn weight (?). I do both knit and crochet but have never really worked with crochet thread, as the small crochet hooks make my hands cramp up pretty badly. So I guess really I wasn’t that much help :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck

Yes you can. I learned to knit with my mother’s package string, some of it wasn’t much thicker than crochet thread. Doilies can be knit too, and you can try out lace patterns with it. It’s not stretchy like most yarn, so you need to take that into consideration. Would need to use a pretty small needle, maybe a 4 or less, though you can use a larger one and see what you come up with.

I don’t mind small needles, the socks I knit were on size 3 dpns and that was pretty easy. Espcially after crocheting with a size 12 hook and size 50 thread! Do you know where I could find patterns for thread. I assume I can’t use it for sweaters, socks, and scarves.:slight_smile:

Doll sweaters and scarves… If you double it, you can make a lightweight summer shawl. But here’s a site that has a lot of lace patterns based on doilies, there’s some for bookmarks. It’ll keep you busy for a while.

Sure! A lot of very old knitted lace is done on reeeeeeeally small needles. I’ve heard the Civil War knitters say they use #0000s. You can also knit the “looks like lace but it’s hardly fussy” ornament covers on my blog with crochet thread, the sparklier the better.

If you’re on Ravelry you can sort patterns by yarn weight and thread is one of them. The patterns appear to be mostly doilies and bookmarks, but there are some others, too.