I want to try some socks

Hello again, everyone. Well, after the obligatory scraves and granny squares and then baby booties, I have decided that I want to try knitting a pair of socks. I think with a bit of patience I can do it, but I had a few questions first.

I’ve bought the yarn - Moda Vera “marble” and a set of 6mm DPN’s. I’ve also bought a pair of 6mm circular needles, just in case.

So which is better? Circulars or DPN’s and after watching Amy’s videos - does anyone know of a nice easy pattern to start on? Thanks in advance for the help! :thumbsup:

A lot of us learned on this pattern created by Silver. It requires DPNs and is really easy to follow!

Sock Class

As far as using circulars for socks, you can do magic loop knitting on one looooong circular (40" or longer is best), or you can do the two circular method. Both of these methods have videos here on the site. As far as which is best, it’s all about what you prefer once you’ve tried it out. I started on dpns, didn’t like it, went to magic loop and LOVED it, have also done 2 circs. Now, I feel like I’m ready to try dpns again. Who knew?!

Now, the size of needles you bought sounds really big for making socks with. 6mm needles are US size 10. That would require a bulky weight yarn. Is that the kind of yarn that you bought?

Thanks –

yes, the yarn is a bulky weight yarn and is really soft, which is the kind of socks I’m hoping to make (cross fingers). LOL

The sleeve of the yarn calls for 6 mm needles… ?? it’s 80% polyester and 20% rayon and that means I can wash them. :slight_smile: I’ve had a look at that sock class – I think I might have to save it so I can refer back to it. Thanks for that.

hi heather. i’m putzing with socks, too. i read somewhere that unless the yarn is specifically sock yarn (or probably fingering weight yarns, too), the suggested needle size is for general knitting, like a sweater or afghan, and is too big for sock knitting. plus you’d want a tighter knit for socks anyway, probably, unless they were for just around the house (and not meant to go in shoes). i’ve made adult booties on size 10 US, and i think the the yarn was worsted weight - they’re nice on a chilly night at home, but i don’t think i could wear them with shoes, they’d be too sloshy, if you know what i mean.

I made my first socks with this pattern.

http://dovecottage.net/basic_socks.pdf

It was very simple and very easy to follow. I practically have it memorized.

You might want to try out sport weight yarn for your first pair. But if you google sock patterns, there are a lot of them out there for Wool-ease. Apparently, a very popular worsted weight yarn for socks, tho’ I’ve only used fingering or sport.

I just used this pattern from Knitpicks, but I didn’t like the cast-on they used. So I substituted the Turkish Cast-on Tutorial by FluffyKnitterDeb, and it was an AWESOME combination. Very easy.

I didn’t pay any attention to gauge or yarn weight or anything, because you just keep putting it over your foot to measure. So I picked the yarn I wanted and needle size I wanted, and went to town. I made a pair for my dad out of Caron Simply Soft in Grey Heather with size 8 needles (size 6 for the ribbing). Turned out great and were really quick.

Next time, I’ll pick up more stitches on the loose side of the heel. There were a couple of gaps, but I see how to avoid them for next time. :thumbsup:

The socks I want are for around the house. It gets so cold here and we have wooden floors (it’s the middle of winter over here). :slight_smile:

but I think I’ll take the advice and start with the proper yarn and needle size for my first pair, then I can move on to the fluffy ones later. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the patterns!

I took classes to learn how to knit socks from the Toe Up way. I have to use size 2 dpn. I have only used sock yarns. Never had a problem. good luck :XX: :XX: