I really need help reading this pattern

Hi I’ve come across a lovely pattern but it’s been so poorly written :(. It says " cast on 39 work in St St for 2 rows, I understand that. Then it says" cont in St St casting on 2st at beg of next 4 row and every foll RS row twice, then at each end of foll 4th row. Cont in St St on the 55th sts obtained. When work measures 23cm Dec 1 St at each edge on next RS row then on ever FOLL 4th RS row 3 times then in ever foll RS row twice. These are literally the words it’s not specific about how many rows to do and so unclear. Is it me or is this pattern really poorly written

Welcome!
These kind of directions can be confusing. It may help to write out the row numbers and cross them off as you knit.
After the cast on, call the next 2 rows, rows 1 & 2 (so odd number rows are RS rows). Cast on 2 sts at the beginning of rows 3,4,5,and 6 and then one stitch at each end on rows 7,9,11 and at each end of 15.
Knit for the given length, call the next row, row 1 and decrease at each edge on rows1,5,9,13 and then rows 15 and 17.
Enjoy finishing up the sleeping bag.

1 Like

That’s often how patterns are written, depending on your gauge 23cm could be 41/42/43 rows so easier to measure so you know it will fit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad to see another person this question. I’m almost done one that’s like this. I did my guess interpreting and wrote down notes on which rows but wasn’t sure if I was interpreting it correctly. I marked each row I did the decreases and have been just hoping I’ve been doing it right. Your detailed description will make it a lot easier when I do the same one again in another color :). Thanks salmonmac

1 Like