I need some help with shoulder shaping on a sweater

The instructions read: Bind off 8 sts at beg of the next 2 rows, then 9 stitches at beginning of next 2 row.

The sweater is stockinettes stitch and there are 17 stitches on each side of the neck. Do I bind off 8, k 9, bind 8 other side, k 9, turn, purl all stitches on both sides, turn then bind off 9, then 9 the other side? That is only 3 rows.
I am confused by the beg of next two rows statement I think. Thanks for hte help!

The instructions read: Bind off 8 sts at beg of the next 2 rows, then 9 stitches at beginning of next 2 row.

Bind off 8 at the beginning of the row and finish the row, then bind off 8 at the beginning of the next row and finish the second row.

Then bind off 9 at the beginning of the next row–this will be the second row on that side because you just finished the row before it. Then bind off 9 at the beginning of the next row.

Thanks, Ingrid! I just realized how stupid I was! I guess you have to have someone else just type it out to see it! DUH!

Not stupid!!! :fingerwag: Very often just asking a question explains it. :shrug:

I found this so helpful! Similar pattern wording had me stuck for days. Thanks for asking the question and explaining!

1 Like

Welcome to KH. Instead of being stuck for days please post your questions so we can have the chance to help. Don’t worry that it’s been asked before either because that’s not a problem. We’d love to see photos of your work too.

1 Like

I second that.
No need to stay stuck, just ask.

1 Like

Thank you! I just discovered this site and community, or I totally would have asked sooner! I’m new at knitting, I’ll have many more :smile:. Really appreciate the support.

1 Like

We’ll help you put being a newbie knitter in the rear view! I usually let others help with pattern instructions because even when I understand what to do I can’t explain it. We all play a part in knitting adventures. I look forward to your input!

Bookmark the forum. I arrived 2 years ago thinking I would ask one question, and I never left.
Fabulous site, so welcoming and encouraging and really well managed by the mods. The help is marvelous and the community so friendly.

Sounds like what happened to me back when. I think around 2011 but I’m not sure at all. I had a request from my grandson for a sweater. He had chosen a variegated yarn in black, white, and grays. He teased me calling the gray light black and I loved the look in his eye when he did. I didn’t knit, could crochet a sweater easy peasy, but the yarn wasn’t crocheting up well. I had to move from making knits and purls to actually knitting. This is where I got the help I needed even though so much of what I got was beyond my comprehension. I think in odd ways which makes interacting with patterns a real challenge for me. Tell me how to make the shape I need without a bunch of technical stuff and I’ll almost always get it. I’m so glad others can write and/or interpret patterns. I just suck at sticking with them. The most important thing in my knitting know how mental library was getting short row shaping figured out to do it my way. That was a big deal.