I need HELP

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have been doing a lot of Christmas knitting. I have been making a few things like hats, toys, etc. I noticed that no matter how many times a check and recheck my gauge, everything always turns out 2" bigger then what it should be when my gauge swatch says otherwise. I’m not adding stitches. I have no idea what is going on. It happens whether I knit flat or circular. Does anyone have any ideas pf what I can be doing? I don’t want hats that are supposed to be 20" around turn out to be 22" anymore. :??

It could be that once you start knitting you relax and your gauge loosens up. You should check your gauge as you go.

Also, are you making your swatch larger than 4 inches and measuring only stitches that don’t include the ends?

Those are the only things I can think of.

I guess that I am loosening up. It’s just weird that it’s so consistent. It always turns out 2" bigger. I am making my gauge swatches larger then 4" and measuring in the middle so I don’t include the ends.

Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile: I guess I’ll just have to keep trying to see what in the world I am doing wrong.

What Ingrid said.

It happens to many people.
You get get all tensed up about getting your gauge right,
but once you do, you relax. And so does your knitting.

The solution is to keep checking every couple of inches
to see that your gauge hasn’t changed.

Or maybe (and I’m only semi-serious) do something relaxing – your choice – before you do your gauge swatches.

Or just start in knitting the item and check your gauge after a few rows. If it doesn’t look right, you can decide if you need more or less stitches, or a larger or smaller needle to get you where you need to be and start over again.

sue

Thanks ladies. I will try your suggestions. I hope I can figure something out. :slight_smile: