I need help with the Florida Bag pattern please!

I’m trying to knit the Knit Picks “Florida Bag”. I think it should be easy but I’ve ripped out the first three rows four times already! :oops:

Here are what the directions say: Cast on 115

Row 1. *K3, P2 repeat *to end of row. I get that part…no problem.

Row 2. *K2, P3, Repeat from *to end of row.

Row 3. Repeat Row 1. (Rows 2 and 3 can also be summed up as knitting the purl stitches and purling the knit stitches). I know what that means too. Isn’t that Seed Stitch?

Also on Row one I start out knitting three stitches…then when I get back to that after knitting the whole row and start Row 2 why am I only knitting TWO of those three knit stiches and then purling the “left over” knit stich and purling it along with two of the next stitches? :blush:

In other words in Row 2, why am I not just P3 and K 2?? Then it would BE knitting the purls and purling the knits? The directions sound like they are “breaking up” the stitches and its reading as very confusing to me.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. :lol:

Just judging from the pattern photo, it seems that this bag has quite a mix of stitches. The bottom, rather than having simple ribbing, has ribbing with a row of seed stitch in between. It’s difficult to tell exactly what’s going on since the photo of the bottom of the bag isn’t clear, but I wouldn’t worry about it. I think that stitch pattern will look really nice!

Don’t knit the whole row … “then start row 2” … each row of a pattern starts every time you have your knitting in your left needle. Then you should be able to knit the purls and purl the knits without any leftovers :slight_smile:

Debbie

To answer your 2 vs 3 question:

You are not knitting the 3 knits. When you start the 2nd row, the 2 knit stiches correspond to the last 2 purl stitches, so you are, as you said, knitting the purls and purling the knits. There are 2 knits to match the 2 purls, and 3 purls to match the 3 knits. Does that make sense? It does in my mind, but that’s not saying much!!! :slight_smile:

I’m making the same bag. Try not to second guess what is going on and trust the pattern. What you’ll be creating in that first segment are some mini cables. The second segment is the moss stitch. I made some sort of error there, but I didn’t find it till I was too far up and decided to ignore it. :rollseyes:

Thank you every one. I am just going to knit the purls and purl the knits. :XX:

Jan, your’s is coming out beautiful!!! I’m using Fall colors. I’ll work on it tonight. Thanks again everyone. :smiley:

Thank you, Celine! I just did the colors they had except for one row where I chose the wrong color. :rollseyes: I may make another one eventually.

Wow, Jan, that is lovely!! :inlove: :inlove: