I need help with sweater pattern

[color=darkblue]Hi everyone,
I’m still working on the Roll Raglan sweater that I’m making for my grandson. I need some help.
The pattern says:
On next row knit 9 sts, K2 tog, slip center 11 sts to holder for front of neck, join new ball of yarn, K2 tog, knit across remaining sts until 4 sts remain, K2 tog TBL, K2. Working both sides at once, continue working raglan decreases as established 6 more times and AT SAME TIME decrease 1 st at each neck edge every knit row 2 More times. Work until 2 sts remain on each needle. End having just worked row 2. Slip sts to safety pins.

What I don’t understand is what is underlined. I know it is a lot but ‘hey’ I’m new.
Thanks a whole bunch,
Susie[/color]

Basically what you’re going to do here is work the two shoulders, one on each side of the neck. Since they’re no longer connected, you need to use a separate ball of yarn for each one.

You’ve been working the raglan decreases along the arm edge and you are to continue doing that, but as you keep doing that, you need to start shaping for the neck edge. So on the next two right side rows you’ll decrease at the neck edge as they say and work the raglan decreases and keep working the raglan until there are two stitches left on each shoulder.

[color=darkblue]Ingrid,
While I was waiting for “YOUR” answer I did figure out that I was going to be doing the shoulders. Yeha.
I only have one skein of yarn left in the blue so also what I did while I was waiting was made the skein into a ball so I can pull from the center and use the top too. Is that was I was suppose to do? Then I can knit both sides at once right? Or is there another way?
I still don’t understand this underlined part yet… AT SAME TIME decrease 1 st at each neck edge every knit row 2 More times. I’m not understand HOW I decrease or exactly where.
Thanks, I think I will go to bed before my head twists up in knots. LOL.
Thanks Ingrid. You have always been here for me.
Susie[/color]

K2 tog, knit across remaining sts until 4 sts remain, K2 tog TBL, K2

This is the line where you are decreasing at both ends. So all you need to do at the neck edge is k2tog.

I’m glad you figured out the rest yourself. :cheering:

[color=darkblue]Ingrid,
Still not getting it :thinking: but I will take it a step at at time and see how it goes.
Thanks for all of your help. I was going to go to knit class but they are calling for freezing rain and sleet here.
Enjoy your day,
Susie [/color]

Ingrid,
I’m going to write out what I ‘think’ I’m suppose to do and you can let me know if I have it right. I sure don’t want to have to rip all the way back just because I didn’t understand and did it anyway.
The directions again were:
On next row knit 9 sts, K2 tog, slip center 11 sts to holder for front of neck, join new ball of yarn, K2 tog, knit across remaining sts until 4 sts remain, K2 tog TBL, K2. Working both sides at once, continue working raglan decreases as established 6 more times and AT SAME TIME decrease 1 st at each neck edge every knit row 2 More times. Work until 2 sts remain on each needle. End having just worked row 2. Slip sts to safety pins.
I’m at the part where I join the new ball of yarn. I rolled the skein so I can use the center pull and the top yarn both. Is that right to do?
I just slipped the 11 stitches onto the holder. So the rest of the stitches on the left needle (which is the left shoulder?) I "Knit two together, then knit until there are 4 stitches then I knit two together and knit two. I then go to the right shoulder I only have 10 stitches on that needle. Geeeeeeesh, I think I’m confused. LOL. ON the right needle/shoulder I start the raglan decrease then I go to the left shoulder and do this for 6 rows? When I get to where the 11 stitches are on the holder is where I decrease 1 stitch and only when I am doing knit…but don’t understand the two more times. HUM.
Nap time.
If you can help, I’d sure appreciate it. Maybe I’ll drive down to your place. LOL.
Susie

First, yes, the second ball of yarn is perfect for this.

After you slip the stitches on the holder, you k2tog, work to end and do the raglan decrease. Turn your work, and purl across both shoulders, using a separate strand for each. I’m assuming that you’ve been just purling across the back, right?

At this point you’ve done one decrease at each side of the neck, which is where the holder is.

Then, on the first shoulder, do your raglan dec, work to the last two st and k2tog. Drop that yarn, pick up the other, k2tog, work to end of row and do raglan decrease.

Now purl across and on the next knit row do the decreases again. Your neck decreases are done.

You should have k2 tog on three knit rows at the neck edge.

Now only work the raglan shaping until you have two st on each side. I haven’t counted decreases, so you may be at that point already.

Hang in there, you’ll see what’s happening as you do it. It’s a looooong drive down here! :wink:

[color=darkblue]I only had one skein of yarn so I rolled it into a ball so I could pull from the center and use the top wound piece too. Is that going to be a problem?
INGRID, I need to find two more size 7 needles right?

I was purling across the back yes but when I did the raglan decrease this is what it said:
“Begin decreasing for raglan armholes as follows:
Row 1: Knit across row until 4 sts remain, K2 tog TBL (Through Back Loop), K2.
Row 2: Purl across row until 4 sts remain, P2 tog, P2.”

I may just wait. I’m getting myself more confused. It isn’t you at all it is me. I’m just not getting the light bulb to come on in my head.
Thanks Ingrid.
I’ll print this all out and see If I’m brave enough to start. LOL
Susie
[/color]

You can leave both shoulders on the same needles. There will just be a gap between them.

If the pattern says to decrease on the purl row, just do that. I wasn’t sure.

As long as you have two strands, anything will work.

[color=darkblue]Ok, if I get brave enough I’ll give it a whirl. My teacher can always help me rip it out in two weeks. LOL.
Thanks a lot. Like you said…if I just go a step at a time it may become clearer to me.
Thanks, and hope you are having a nice day,
Susie[/color]