I need help with pleats

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to knit a scarf that has pleats on it and I just can’t figure it out.

“insert right needle 7 rows below from back to front, and pick up the purl bump below the 8th st, place it on the right needle and knit it together with the 8th st.”

Does that mean that I insert my right needle 7 rows below and pick up the purl bump and pull through the 7th row and bring it back up and knit it together with the next stich…or…insert needle 7 rows below, pick up purl and knit them together and then pull just my needle out of the 7th row???

Does that make any sense?
Thank You so much for your help

I would look at the 8th stitch on the needle–I’m assuming it’s the next stitch due to be knit. Count down 7 from that stitch, put the tip of your right needle under the purl loop and lift it up and put it on the tip of the left needle and knit that and the next stitch together as one. It will create the pleat.

you mean the purl stich thats in the 7th row below?? the pattern says to pick up the purl bump below the 8th st, but if you think that picking up the purl pumb in the 7th row will work then I should just do that.

“insert right needle [color=red]7 rows below from back to front[/color], and pick up the purl bump below the 8th st, place it on the right needle and knit it together with the 8th st.”

I get that the purl bump below the 8th stitch is 7 rows below, according to this direction.

you are correct…I tried it and it looked like a neat pleat.
thanks a lot for your help.

It sounds interesting–where is the pattern from?

it’s from knit1 mag. fall/winter 2005