I need help with my raglan sleeve pattern

I have not made a lot of sweaters and am having problem with this written pattern placing markers for the raglan sleeve increase… this is exactly what the pattern says…Divide sts as follows and place markers on raglan lines:
1st (edge) + 1st (front) + 1 st (raglan, place a marker) + 8 (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15) sts (sleeve) + 1st (raglan, place a marker) + 26 (28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40) sts (back) + 1st (raglan, place a marker) + 8 (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15) sts (sleeve) + 1 st (raglan, place a marker) + 1st (front) +1 st (edge) …I guess I am confused by the 1st edge 1st st and 1st st raglan…does this mean to place a marker after 3 stitches…then it states to do M1,K1,M1 on every other row, so am confused which stitch do I start the M1…on stitch on the 2nd or third stitch… I think I just have a mental block on this… I have made raglan sleeves many times but have just set markers and then just done kfb in front of marker and after marker… could I do that on this sweater but if so where would I put the markers if I was just doing the kfb method… also on this pattern looks like there is one extra stitch in the beginning than at the end…thanks for any help you can give me

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Maybe if you think of the +1st (that is, one stitch) as the stitch marking the raglan line the numbers will make more sense.
So for the smallest size it becomes:
2-[B]1[/B]-8-[B]1[/B]-26-[B]1[/B]-8-[B]1[/B]-2
Read further along in the pattern. It may be that the bolded stitches represent the four raglan lines with increases on either side of those stitches.