I haven't picked up needles in 20 years

The last time I knitted anything I was pregnant with my daughter…she will be 21 in September. I knitted her a matching hat and sweater in yellow because I had no idea what the sex of my baby was.

Boy I didn’t know how rusty I was.

I have just had to start k2 p2 rib three times because I kept ending up making a moss stitch! I watched a video on this site on how to do it and recognize my stitches.

I thought it was going to be like riding a bicycle!

Also I have switched nations since I last knitted. I used to live in the UK and now I live in the USA I am knitting on 2.5mm needles which are US size 1’s They were so hard to find in stores.

Anyway I just wanted to say hello and thank whoever on the forum uploaded the little training videos. It really helped.

Welcome back to knitting and to Knitting Help. Be sure to ask whenever you need help. I didn’t crochet for a few years and was surprised at how much I had to go look up when I started a crochet project. I buy my needles online because I can’t get what I want locally. What are you making with what I call sock skewers?

I couldnt find the actual pattern online but it is the yellow button up sweater in the Simply Knitting link.

http://www.simplyknitting.co.uk/2015/04/24/simply-knitting-issue-133-sale-now/

I picked it out because it’s so basic and hoped I’d easily get back into the swing of things. But yes, the “sock skewers” are a bit fiddly and I almost thought I must have bought the wrong size of needle.

I am in a large metro area and we have JoAnns, Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Michaels seems useless for knitting, Hobby Lobby is somewhat better and JoAnns is better. But to find everything locally seems very hard.

That’s a really nice pattern. Share pictures of your progress and FO (finished object) if you like.

fantastic! Welcome, you’re gonna love it here.
I joined recently, and its taken over my life.
In a good way, of course.

:smiley:

Here is what I’ve done so far. Don’t laugh, but I know I was a lot quicker back in the day and I seem so slow now.

Mainly wanted you guys to see the color.

you’re well on your way, and that’s a great color :wink:

Beautiful blue yarn and a great start on your rib. :cheering: Speed is often IMO highly overrated. If you enjoy what you’re doing consider this a chance to take your time and savor it.

Well, what I’ve noticed is that knitting can be pretty meditative. I have been casting my mind back to the last time I knitted and what has gone on in the past twenty years and why I felt so busy that I didn’t do this earlier.

I’m enjoying this quite a lot. :slight_smile:

Welcome!
Gorgeous color and a lovely sweater. It is such fun to go back to something you enjoyed and find out that it’s still a pleasure. Yes, it gives you plenty of time to think and problem solve. Good luck with the sweater and have fun.

that IS a nice colour.

one stitch at a time, it’s very Zen. :slight_smile: