I dont understand pattern instructions

I have a pattern from lionbrands.com Pattern # L70356 Misty Shaded Tunic. I am at the part of the top of the back and I am lost with the instructions. I have never worked both sides at the same time as the instructions indicate, I am working the project with a circular knitting needle.
Can someone help me to understand how to do the following?
Shape Neck and Continue Shaping Shoulders:
Row 19 (RS): Bind off 2 (3, 4) sts, k15 (17, 19) (for a total of 16 (18, 20) sts on right needle) for right side of neck, join 2nd ball of A and bind off next 23 (26, 29) sts for back neck, k to end of row for left side of neck – 16 (18, 20) sts for right side and 18 (21, 24) sts for left side.
You will now work both sides AT THE SAME TIME with separate balls of yarn.
Row 20: On left side, bind off 2 (3, 4) sts, p to end of side; on right side, p to last st, k1 – 16 (18, 20) sts for each side.
Row 21: On right side, bind off 4 (4, 5) sts, k to end of side; on left side, bind off 2 sts, k to end of side – 12 (14, 15) sts for right side and 14 (16, 18) sts for left side
Row 22: On left side, bind off 4 (4, 5) sts, p to end of side; on right side, bind off 2 sts, p to last st, k1 – 10 (12, 13) sts for each side.
Rows 23 and 24: Rep Rows 21 and 22 – 4 (6, 6) sts for each side in Row 24.
Row 25: On right side, bind off rem 4 (6, 6) sts; on left side, k to end of row.
Bind off rem 4 (6, 6) sts of left side.

Very nice looking tunic!
http://cdn.lionbrand.com/media/patterns/l70356a.pdf

Which size are you making?
It’s probably easiest to work the directions as given since they intersperse right and left shoulders. Use one ball of yarn to work the right side of the neck and the other ball for the left side, remembering not to cross over the neck opening with one of the balls. A sticky note might help as you work the rows just to keep you on track.
If you take it line by line, you should be ok but if it still seems too confusing, follow the directions for the right shoulder only. When you finish those directions and bind off, start the directions for the left shoulder. Maybe it would be easier to highlight the right shoulder directions just to make them easier to follow.

You will now work both sides AT THE SAME TIME with separate balls of yarn.
Row 20: On left side, bind off 2 (3, 4) sts, p to end of side; on right side, p to last st, k1 – 16 (18, 20) sts for each side.
Row 21: On right side, bind off 4 (4, 5) sts, k to end of side; on left side, bind off 2 sts, k to end of side – 12 (14, 15) sts for right side and 14 (16, 18) sts for left side
Row 22: On left side, bind off 4 (4, 5) sts, p to end of side; on right side, bind off 2 sts, p to last st, k1– 10 (12, 13) sts for each side.
Rows 23 and 24: Rep Rows 21 and 22 – 4 (6, 6) sts for each side in Row 24.
Row 25: On right side, bind off rem 4 (6, 6) sts; on left side, k to end of row.
Bind off rem 4 (6, 6) sts of left side

You broke this down for me in a way that I hadn’t thought of. I like the idea of working one side and then the other thank you so much for your help.

1 Like

Remember the repeat in rows 23 and 24.
Good luck with it and please post a photo when you finish!