I don't understand part of this pattern!

Hi, I’m knitting a top and I’m at the point where I’ve just attached the sleeves to the body and I’m about to start knitting the yoke, but I can’t get my head around these instructions:

round 1 (rs) *sl 1, K1, psso, K to within 2 sts of marker, K2tog,
slip marker onto right needle, rep from * 3 times more.
302 [318: 334: 350: 366: 382] sts.
Working all raglan decreases as set by last round,
dec 1 st at each raglan edge of both front and back on
4th [4th: 4th: 4th: 4th: next] and foll 0 [0: 0: 0: 0: 1] round,
then on 6 [5: 3: 2: 0: 0] foll 4th rounds, then on foll
6 [9: 14: 17: 22: 24] alt rounds and at same time dec 1 st at
each raglan edge of both sleeves on 4th and foll 4th round,
then on foll 16 [17: 18: 19: 20: 21] alt

I’m doing the third size along. I’ve done the first bit and have 334 stitches, I’m just really stuck about what the rest of the pattern means. When I think I understand it, I work out how many stitches I’ll have at the end but I either end up with too many or too few. Please help! Thanks!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Working all raglan decreases as set by last round,
dec 1 st at each raglan edge of both front and back on
4th and foll 0 round,
then on 3 foll 4th rounds,
then on foll 14 alt rounds
and at same time dec 1 st at each raglan edge of both sleeves
on 4th and
foll 4th round,
then on foll 18 alt

I get 18 dec rounds front and back only and 20 dec rounds sleeves. That’s 38 rounds x 4 decreases = 152sts dec.
Dec front and back on rounds 4,18,12 and 16 and then every other round for 14 rounds.
Dec sleeves rounds 4 and 8 ant then every other round for 18 rounds.
That leaves you with 182sts.

That helps a lot, thank you so much!

One last question, when it says “dec 1 st at each raglan edge of both front and back” and then “at same time dec 1 st at each raglan edge of both sleeves” does this mean that on the rows where I have to do both these decreases, I decrease twice at the edge instead of once? I’m a bit confused. Thanks!

No double decreases. It may help to write out a column with the round numbers next to a column of front and back decreases and a third column of sleeves decreases. Use the rows I’ve indicated above to fill in these last two columns.
On some rounds there are only decreases for the sleeves. On most rounds there are decreases at the front, back and sleeves.

It may also help to put a marker in the knitting (as opposed to on the needle) for the front and for the back just to make sure you know where you are.

Okay thanks! I’ve written it all out and I’m happy with when I decrease, but I think I’m confusing myself. I have 4 markers and at each marker I decrease by 2 sts (the K2tog before the marker and the sl 1, K1, psso after the marker). So I don’t understand when it says to only dec by 1st at each edge? I have two edges at the front of the top, and two at the back, I don’t understand the distinction between the front/back and the sleeve edges, are they not the same thing?

I’m sorry if I’m being dim! This is the link to the pattern if it helps https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-gb/p/sweetie-swing-top-in-paintbox-yarns-cotton-dk-downloadable-pdf. I’m at round 1 of the Yoke section. Thank you so much for helping me, I’ve been knocking my head against this for ages!

Cute top!
Here’s a diagram of the round with markers for the raglan increases. The front and back increases are in black and the sleeve increases in red. See if that helps.
IMG_2329

That makes perfect sense now! I understand it all, thank you so much!

1 Like