I-cord

I need help with the I-cord for the steggie baby bib. I watched the video for I-cords but it doesn’t mention joining it. I am new to this. Also should the dpns be the same size as the knitting needles I am using?

According to the pattern, the I-cord tie is continuous with the bib. You end the shoulder decreases with 3sts and continue on them for the I-cord.

If you have cut the yarn after completing the shoulder, join a new end of yarn and make the I-cord. You can use your favorite join or simply overlap the two ends for 1-2sts.

then do I bind off the I-cord at the top? I think the pattern says to run the yarn down through? I don’t understand that. Also do I use the same size dpns as the knitting needle size? Thank you for your help

I do use the same size dpns as the pattern needles and that’s probably best. If you have to go up or down a needle size, it would work but be slightly looser or tighter.
At the end of the I-cord, cut the yarn leaving about a 6 inch tail. Thread the yarn onto a tapestry needle and then through the I-cord stitches. I tie a knot at this point and then run the tapestry back down the I-cord for 4-5 inches. Come out somewhere along the cord and cut the tail.

It’s a really cute pattern. I’ve made some of these bibs and they are addictive.

This is my first time doing something with a shoulder. I am happy with how it is turning out.I am still a fairly new knitter. Thank you for your help. Yes this is a fun pattern.