I-cord trouble

I can knit socks, but the I-cord is beyond my understanding, apparently. When they say I should not turn the work, should the stitches I have already knit stay towards the left of the needle? I am just not sure if I am doing this correctly and I can’t see what is happening on the video.

You use 2 dpns for the easiest tool (a circular would work in theory but too much too mess with). Cast on your 2-4 stitches (or whatever), knit them, now slide them to the other end of the dpn so that the yarn is attached to the stitch fartherest from the tip of the needle the stitches are near. This seems weird if not impossible but pull the yarn from the back end of the loops on the needle (nice and snug) and knit the stitches again. Slide them again to the other end and repeat.

Using DPNs you just knit your stitches, then slide them to the other end of the needle so that the working yarn is coming from the last stitch on the needle. It’ll look funny the first few rows, but then you’ll see how the working yarn coming from the left side, last stitch, pulls all of the stitches together into a little tube. I like to knit that first stitch tight to be sure that it closes properly without loopy stitches on that one side.

I was also confused the first time I had to do this. There’s a video on here that explains it beautifully.

It’s about 80% of the way down on this page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Give it an inch or so before you give up - it seems impossible for the yarn going across the back to tighten up and make it look like a smooth tube, but it will.

I would especially agree with the last two suggestions. The 1st time I tried it did not seem right and I kept frogging but when I tried again and had a bit of faith it came right, but do give it at least an inch. If you need another video perspective, do a search on YouTube - there are loads from differrent angles.

irishmam

Another suggestion to make the i-cord look good is to pull on it end to end and stretch it out every once in a while. The stretching seems to “heal” it a little in the ladder area and make it look better.

from someone who just did my first I-cord, yes, pull on it after a few inches and you’ll see the tube form. I frogged mine several times, too. :slight_smile:

Like everyone else says–believe it or not, it’ll work! You can also use one of those knitting spools, or, if you don’t have DPNs handy or just can’t stand it (or if you want a bigger tube), try double knitting:
Cast on however many stitches you want. If you want the end open, try a proviosional cast-on. Otherwise, you have to fiddle around with it a little.
Now…knit one, slip one WITH YARN IN FRONT, and make darned sure that it IS in front before you knit the next one…ask me how I found that out :teehee: K1, sl 1 wyif all the way across. Now turn the work just as you normally would. See the stitches that weren’t used before? Knit those and slip the others with the yarn in front. Keep going until your eyes glaze over or you have all the cord or tubing you want, whichever comes first:roflhard: …it’s about like watching paint dry, but it does work.

If you want a flat, thick, very strong strap for a purse or belt, you can slip the stitches with the yarn in back. It gives an odd waffle-weave effect that is actually kind of pretty and is very strong when felted. Just don’t try knitting a cell phone cozy that way be accident…:frog: Not that I would know anyone who ever did that. Uh, yeah, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.