I-cord to top a tote bag?

Hi everyone . .I just taught myself to knit a couple of months ago. Well, somewhat. And I have already started my first project. I am following a pattern for a summer tote bag from one of the Knit This Kits sold at Target.

Well, I have the body completed and I am SO stuck with the top of the bag. Could someone please help me? (I’m knitting on circulars by the way) :??

Here is the bag so far:

I just do NOT understand the rest of the directions at all!! Grrrr…
It says:

8.) Start binding off in I-cord as follows: Cast 3 stitches onto the right hand needle.
[color=red]OK, I DID THIS PART DOING THE BACKWARD LOOP CO AND IT WORKED WELL, BUT WHEN I TRIED TO FOLLOW ICORD DIRECTIONS I HAD A CORD HANGING OFF THE BAG, NOT ATTACHED TO IT[/color]
9.)Slip the 3 stitches just cast on over to the left hand needle.
[color=red] I WAS ABLE TO DO THIS PART LOL[/color]
10.) Knit 2 stitches, ssk (slip, slip, knit)
[color=red]HUH? DOES THIS POSSIBLY MEAN TO CHOOSE K2TOG OR SSK? I AM REALLY REALLY REALLY CONFUSED FROM THIS POINT ON[/color]
11.) Slip the 3 stitches just knit back over to the left hand needle.
12.) Repeat steps #10 & #11 until 3 stitches remain on needles.
13.)Bind off 3 stitches

I am hoping that once someone can help me with step 10 that I will be able to figure out the following steps. :blush:

I’ve never done applied I-cord, but the directions for step 10 are to knit 2 stitches separately then slip one, slip another and knit the two slipped stitches as one stitch. There may be a video for that on this site, I’ll go look for it.

I’ve done applied i-cord, and what you are doing is knitting those 3 stitches that you cast on, knitting the first two and then doing a ssk with the last of the three and the first on the bag. You put them back on the needle, knit the first two again, and do the ssk with the third and one from the bag. It sounds confusing, but once you get going, it’s not hard at all.

i am not sure but maybe this will help?

Thank you all SO much!! I think I understand . .and the video should really help, (I only checked it out for a minute). I’m a VERY visual learner. :thumbsup:

[color=green][size=6]THANK YOU!![/color][/size]

:waving: Howdy, neighbor! I’m in the Houston area, too. :thumbsup:

I’m jealous of how even your knitting looks. Good luck even tho you don’t
need it.

Darcy

Hi to you too!! We are relatively new Texans- we just moved here from SoCal right after Thanksgiving, and we are loving it!!!

Awww thank you Darci!! Even though I’m stuck at this point of my work, I am pretty pleased with it so far, especially for being my first attempt at knitting something.