I am very new and

My sister showed me the basics of how to knit a scarf but I don’t know how to do the first row. :??

Hi! Do you know how to cast on? Or is it after the cast on that you have trouble? If you go to “Basic Techniques” (here at KnittingHelp.com) it shows the basic techniques(surprisingly enough, LOL!) to get you started. Amy has made some wonderful videos that really helped me when I was stuck! A (moving) picture is worth a thousand words, ya know :smiley:

Hope that helps! I’m sure if you get stuck there’s always someone to answer (hopefully better than me)

Good luck, and welcome to knitting (I’m warning you, it’s addictive!)

Thanks it was casting on but I didn’t know what it was called. I found the videos. They are very helpful. Now my problem is I picked extremly fuzzy yarn and keep missing stitches. I have already pulled it out 15 times. lol

Get some regular old smooth worsted or bulky weight yarn. You’ll be able to see your stitches so much better.

Welcome to knitting–you’ll enjoy it in time! :wink:

I think I pulled my first project apart umpty-million times and that was with regular 2-ply chunky weight yarn. :doh:

Try using a regular yarn and just knit a scarf for a doll or something small. Once you get the hang of knitting, you’ll find you won’t miss as many with the fuzzy stuff. My first project was a pillow cover for a 14" pillow form.

Good luck! Don’t give up, one of these times it will just click! There you’ll be, :XX: .

Well here’s another newbie question. how do you learn to tell what yarn you need and how the heck do you learn to read patterns? Right now I’m happy learning to knit a scarf but I want to someday move on to blankets and booties and stuff!!

I started with some inexpensive plain yarn in a light color so you can see the stitches. Try getting some of that and practice, practice, practice. :wink: I’ve been doing this for a couple months and I still practice new stitches on that plain yarn.

Welcome to the wacky world of knitting! Hang around here a while and you’ll be afflicted with all the various ASs {aquisition syndromes} we have!

The type of yarn {what it’s made of} and weight {how thick or thin it is} you will use are often decided by what the intended use of it is. If you are making a dishcloth or potholder, you will only use cotton yarn. That is because a synthetic fibre won’t hold water for washing, or will melt when put in contact with heat. A thick, bulky 100% wool yarn will make a wonderful sweater or coat, but wouldn’t be practical for a baby sweater. A very fine fingering yarn will make a very drapey shawl, but it won’t keep you very warm. Other things like washability and care instructions come into play as well, some yarns need to be hand washed and others can be thrown in the washer and dryer with little or no special care. See what I mean by intended use?

Pattern reading is really easy once you understand the basics. The stitch you would be using for your scarf is probably the knit stitch, and you’d be knitting every row. This is commonly called garter stitch. It makes waves on both sides of the fabric. Once you learn the purl stitch, then you can do what is called stockinette, which is knitting one row and purling the next. It will make a fabric which you are probably very familiar with… the v’s on one side and the little wavey things going across on the other. The basis of most patterns are these two stitches used in different ways and slight variations of them. A pattern will usually tell you what size needles to use, which kind and size {and hopefully how much!} of yarn you need. It will tell you how many stitches to make, and what to do with those stitches {knit, purl or combinations/variations of those two}. And of course, having a bulletin board {such as this one!} handy while you’re trying to decipher a pattern is invaluable!

Any other questions? Just holler!!! :smiley:

See that’s what I MEAN Purling, Stockinett Whatt!!! :shock:
I know that I watched a demo and the stitch that I know how to do is called the english method so that is all I know. The description of the yarn was helpful that is what I was thinking, that you just use common sense when picking it out. Otherwise I am obviously just not smart.

It’s pretty much all Greek until it clicks. Kinda like if someone tells you to hop alternately on each foot in a specific pattern… you stand there dumbfounded until they demonstrate and then finally you get it… OH!!! you mean to skip!!! Certain things in knitting are like that… you “hop” in this specific pattern and it means to do “that” particular stitch.

Your scarf uses only one stitch after you finish casting on, right? And it has something that kinda looks like waves going across it on both sides? That means you are doing only the “knit stitch” for every row. This is also called “garter stitch”.

Purling involves having the yarn in a different spot, and your needle in a different spot. This creates a different looking stitch. When you combine one row of the “knit stitch” and one row of the “purl stitch”, you end up with V’s on one side and all the waves on the other side. This is what is called “stockinette stitch”.

You can think of the “garter stitch” as a pattern rather than a way to make a single stitch. The same goes for “stockinette”. It is a pattern of a bunch of stitches together combined for a certain look when done.

I kinda get it but I think I will be on that one stitch for quite awhile. :frowning:

That’s how I was for the longest time. I wanted to make the grandmother’s favourite dishcloth {diagonal dishcloth} for practice pieces. After driving my best friend completely stark raving mad through dozens of emails and IMs, I finally clicked in on how to do a yarn over… which is the required increase stitch for the cloth. It was definitely a :doh: moment for me when I realized how easy it was, and how difficult I had been making things for myself. I am happy to say that 2 years later {and countless nervous breakdowns for my best friend}, that I no longer consider myself a complete beginner, but a novice knitter!!! :happydance:

Keep on trying, and practicing, and you’ll be there too before you know it! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Two years Crap! That’s a lot of scarves! :lol: