http://www.fibergypsy.com/patterns/swtrpatt.shtml

HI everyone!!! Haven’t been around in a long time…Picked up knitting again and really rusty!! Doing the baby sweater above and finished first sleeve, bound off (cut yarn) finished second sleeve bound off (cut yarn) NOW I’M REALLY GOOFED UP…How do I pick up 22 stitches and begin knitting the back of the body? I have two places to join new yarn…HELP

Hi Cheley, welcome back! Can you please post the link in the post. It can’t be clicked from the subject line.

http://www.fibergypsy.com/patterns/swtrpatt.shtml

Quickie Baby Sweater Pattern

|
|
|
| | |

|

|
|
| |
Quickie Baby Sweater Pattern
| |

|

|

Hi cheley! Good to hear from you.
This is a version of the 5 hour baby sweater (5HBS),
Usually the fronts and back are placed on holders (row 32) while you knit the sleeves. Then you would go back to the held sts and knit across the body of the sweater. If you cast off the front, back and front it’s ok. You can pick up sts with the RS facing you. Pick up 22sts for the left front, 39sts for the back and 22sts for the right front. This sweater is very forgiving. If you pick up a few more sts, it won’t matter.

Hi thank you for responding…I possibly didn’t explain my problem specifically…Yes, I have 'live" stitches on three stitch holders, 2 fronts and one back…Since I’ve bound off both sleeves, I do not have working yarn “attatched” therefore I have to re join my yarn to the stitches on the needles…If I pick up twenty stitches from the first holder, how to I re join yarn at the point, ( I will then be knitting the back stitches) then onto the next front stitches…The re join is my question…I do not want to leave gap/holes where I re join yarn…actually I will have two spots of a re join?

When knitting in circular or dpns you have a “working yarn” to join the sts tog, in this case I have 3 separate groups of stitchs

I replied on the Knitting help site/forum

OK, with the RS facing place the 22 front sts on the right needle. At sleeve 2, join a new end of yarn and knit across the back then continue knitting across the other front. The last stitch of the back is joined right up against the next stitch from the front.
Turn and work back across the purl row. When you get to the gap at the 2nd sleeve (the place where you started the new yarn end) continue on with the front sts. Again, the last back stitch and the next front stitch will be right up next to each other.
The join is pretty flimsy at this point because it’s only one strand of yarn but as you knit the body across all the sts (front, back and other front) that join will become stronger.
I’ve knit dozens of these sweaters and always enjoy them. The matching hat is cute too.

Thank you so much!!! Hope to be visisting often …again Matter of fact, the whole entire site is totally changed it’s nice to get responses on my email now too!!!

I was a little confused about the placement of the stitches (first 22) then joining yarn at 2 sleeve…I am thinking you probably mean join at the first 22 knit back then join again at the second sleeve…Otherwise I would jump from sleeve one over to sleeve 2? I apologize, but this is the second 5 hour sweater I HAVE STARTED!!! both patterns written (IMO) horribly!! If you can suggest a better pattern…Please do so!!!

This can be confusing. I don’t know of a better version as far as this part of the pattern goes.
Sorry for adding to the confusion. Here’s a diagram that might help. Slip the sts on the left front to the right needle, join the new yarn end at the back, knit across the back and then knit directly across the right front (joins the back and the right front). When you purl back, the back will join to the left front.
So eventually you’ll go from left front to back to right front as one continuous piece.

In the diagram, the sweater is shown upside down which is the way you would hold it to start knitting the body.

1 Like

Awwww very nice diagram!!! And exactly!!! I said “screw it”!!! and joined on the first 22…Thank you sooo much!!! Glad too be back…and again If “Anyone” has a “better” top down baby sweater (prefer seamless) please post it!!! Baby sweater being 3 to 6 months!!! I can try and post a pic of sweater 1 I already finished (different pat) and this one I am working on!!! Where do I post finished projects?

Oh, nice of you to say. Glad you’re on your way.
I’ll look and see about patterns.
You can post photos in Whatcha’ Knittin’ or lately there’s been a monthly Current Projects topic. January may yet show up.

ETA: This one came immediately to mind. I haven’t made it yet but it looks good.

It’s up! I just posted it. :slight_smile:

You can post your pictures in the new thread if you like, but if you have specific questions, Cheley start a new thread in How-to Questions or in this thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks…I have to surf around here and see how to post pics…The site is all so new (LOL) and I use my phone a lot, can I post a pic from my IPhone?

@Jan_in_CA may know. I post photos from my computer but you may be able to post from the KnittingHelp phone app.

I think you can. You’d probably do it the same way you do on the computer. When you are on the text input screen click the arrow icon and upload from your phone. If your phone takes huge megapixel photos it may not work, but I haven’t tested it. It’s always better to resize them, but that’s easier on a computer. I resize to about 800 on the longest side.