How would I change this from flat to working in the round?

[SIZE=2]I want to do the front and back part of a vest on circular needles…the front is worked the same as the back till the armholes.[/SIZE]

[B][B][SIZE=2][U]Back[/U][/SIZE][/B][/B]

With smaller straight needles, cast on 102(110-122-130-142) sts.
[B]Ribbing:[/B][B] Row 1 (RS):[/B] K2, * p2, k2, rep from * across.
[B]Row 2:[/B] P2, * k2, p2, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 2 1/2” from beg, end on RS. Change to larger needles and p the next row, dec 20(20-22-22-24) sts evenly spaced across – 82(90-100-108-118) sts. Work even in St st until piece measures 17” from beg, end on WS.

Then there’s the armhole part, where I’m supposed to change back to straights.

By the way, I already made a gauge swatch using straights; do I have to make another one since I am now working in the round, or is it not neccesary?

Some people have a different gauge when working in the round rather than flat. Mine isn’t too different, depends on the yarn, so I generally don’t bother.

You would cast on twice the number of stitches called for the front/back pieces, knit the body in the round up to the underarms, then switch to knitting back and forth, doing the armhole shaping the same as written in the pattern. You would need to make sure the number of stitches you have on the needles is exactly divisible by 4 so you could do k2, p2 all the way around for the ribbing and have it come out even. When you do the stockinette part, knit every row, decreasing twice the number of stitches indicated for your size.

So I decrease 40 stitches evenly spaced, is that right? And do I have to cast on 4 less stitches, which is supposed to be for the seaming?

I’m doing this exact scenario on cardi and did reduce the total st count by 4 to allow for no side seams. In my case I’m going from garter hem to st st so had to work in incs but same concept. Determined total no needed for both the fronts and back and then spaced them evenly over all the applicable sts.

HTH,
cam

Do I have to change the p2,k2 on the second row, or does it stay the same?

When you knit in the round you would do k2, p2 on all rounds until it’s time to change to stockinette.

So[I] that’s[/I] why it was looking odd…I did p2 k2 on every other round :oo:

I would work the vest on 200 stitches in the round. 2 stitches on each of those separate pieces are the ones for sewing it together and you won’t need those.

It depends on which size she’s making.

I’m doing the smallest one

Then whether you have 200 or 204, it probably won’t make a big difference, that would be less than an inch. Some people advise to drop 4 sts off the CO to account for the ones that would be used in seaming, but it probably isn’t that big a deal at the gauge you’re making.

Now I have a maaajor problem. First I had 18 sts per 4 inches for the guage, which is what the pattern wanted. Now that I’ve knitted in the round, my gauge has changed to 21 sts for the stockinette part, which makes a difference of over 2 inches. I’m thinking of whether I should start all over again (which would be really painful since I’ve knitted a lot of it already) or just stretch it while I’m blocking it.