?: how to work afghan holding 2 strands, etc

I’m pretty new at this. I’ve chosen to knit a throw to match my bedding. The colors are green, a variegated and ecru. It is knitted in panels and then assembled. Here’s a basic overview of the instructions:

[I]At the beginning of the instructions, it says, “Afghan is worked holding 2 strands of yarn together…”

For Panel A, it says, “With variegated, cast on 16 sts”. Then there is some knitting and purling for 16 rows.

Then it says for row 17, “with green, purl across.” Then there is some more knitting and purling.

Then it says for row 33, “with variegated, purl across.” Then there is some repeating and a bind off.[/I]

My questions are:

1. Do I cast on with both the variegated and the green?
  2. What do I do with the green while I’m working the variegated?
  3. What do I do with the variegated while I’m working the green?

Thanks for your help!

It sounds like you’re supposed to use 2 strands of the same color at a time, not both, beginning with the CO. Since there’s 16 rows worked in each color, you would cut the other color (leaving a good tail to work in) when you switch.

Definitely cut each color and begin fresh. It’s not a good idea to carry yarn that far up the side.

Knitting with 2 strands together is a great way to work up an afghan quickly. For this pattern it appears that you work with just one color at a time. But after you make this one, you might enjoy experimenting with different colors held together, or a variegated and a solid held together.

Oh, the possibilities!

MGM