How to transpose a flat pattern to circular knitting

I"m knitting a sweater for my first grandchild on circular needles. I need to know if, when using a pattern written for straight needles, do I have to change any of the stitches where the front sides and the back meet? Both fronts end with a moss stitch and the back begins with a moss stitch. This changes the pattern from doing the moss stitch over an odd number of stitches to doing it over an even number when combining the stitches at the sides with the stitches on the back so when I get to where they join should I begin the moss stitch again (which would put two knit stitches side by side) or should I continue with the moss pattern to the beginning of the cable stitches (which would make me begin those stitches after a wrong/different stitch than the pattern calls for)? Which would be less noticeable on finished piece? Also, do I have to reverse the stitches when working the wrong side?

Can we have a pattern link please? Our at least a name?

It’s the sweater a cardigan or pullover? Are you actually knitting in the round or knitting flat with circular needless?

Hi thanks for your question. I’m knitting flat with circular needles. I don’t have a link but the pattern is in the book 60 More Quick Baby Knits on pg. 104 It’s called Cable Cardi & Hat

I don’t have a link but the pattern is in the book 60 More Quick Baby Knits on pg. 104 It’s called Cable Cardi & Hat

Are you wanting to convert a pattern with seams to one without seams? The original question is about circular knitting from a pattern written to be knit flat. I just want to be sure what you’re needing to know.

If what you want is to knit a seamed piece without seams (which I will every time I get a chance!) I’d pick up one more stitch under an arm and keep the moss stitch pattern going.

If you’ve been knitting flat from the top down to the armholes, then you join everything and are knitting back and forth without side seams, nothing should change. If you’re trying to knit completely in the round, that changes what you’re doing.

Yes, I’m trying to avoid knitting the side seams by knitting on circular needles and using a pattern that was written for flat knitting. I should mention that I have already started the sweater (a cable knit cardigan knitted from the bottom up) so I have the bottom ribbing done and I didn’t change the number of stitches from what the pattern said. Since I’m knitting this for future use, I’m not concerned that it won’t fit now. I’m trying to make it bigger than the pattern’s largest size by upsizing the needles. I made a swatch to figure out what size needles to use. My main concern is what to do with the wrong side stitches. They are not the pattern ones but I need to know if I should reverse them and knit where it says purl. Thank you so much for responding and helping me figure this out!

If it’s a cardigan and you knit in the round you’ll have to steek it to have it open at the front. If you are just using circulars to knit flat then you don’t change anything.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/34-cabled-cardi-and-hat
If all you have done so far is the rib, it’s easy enough to increase one stitch on each side somewhere on the next row and then continue the moss stitch across the side seam.
Even if you decide not to increase the extra stitches, you can still continue with the moss stitch. It’s ok that you’ll end on a different stitch from the pattern. Moss stitch is going to alternate the stitch you end with anyway as you work the succeeding rows. If, on row 1, the moss ends with a knit before a purl section, you’ll end with a purl on this row but on a following row, it’ll be a knit. It’s all good.
It may help to put in stitch markers between the moss stitch sections and the purl sts just to make sure you keep the purl column intact. After several rows, you probably won’t need the stitch markers. You’ll be able to clearly see the change from moss to purls.