How to shape the cap on the sleeve of sweater

I have worked the sleeve of the doll sweater from the cuff up
3 1/2" now the pattern gives the following directions to begin shaping the cap of the sleeve…

Bind off at beg of row (4 sts) 4 times, then dec 1 st at each edge (k1,ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1) (every right side row) 3 times, then (every row) 4 times–11 sts rem.

I’m starting with 41 stitches. I’m fairly new at knittting. I understand the terms, but need these directions explained in exact detail, step by step, as my sleeve isn’t fitting into the rest of the sweater. I’m doing something wrong. Thanks

BO 4 sts at the beginning of the next 4 rows. Then on the next row (a RS row) begin the decs just as it says - k1,ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1 - for 3 times (purl the WS rows in between them, so this is over 6 rows). Then you would dec on every row for 4 rows and you’ll be down to 11 sts. On the WS rows you put the decs 1 st in - p1, p2tog, p to the last 3 sts, ssp, p1.

It may not fit. Cap sleeves are generally sewn on the top half with a running stitch, gathered to fit, and then sewn into the opening. Skip ahead to the finishing directions and see if this is what they want you to do. I’ve never knit cap sleeves before, but I have sewn them on a sewing machine. That’s how they are constructed with fabric.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2008/05/learn-how-to-attach-a-set-in-sleeve/

This isn’t a cap [B]sleeve[/B], which is a short sleeve only on the top of a shoulder, but a sleeve [B]cap[/B] -the top curved part of a regular sleeve. The BO and decs should pretty well match the shaping done on the armholes.