How to Shape Shoulders and back neck

Hello all,
I am having a problem understanding this part of a pattern for a knitted vest called “Sushi” by Martin Storey. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sushi-9

Shape shoulders and back neck
[B]Next row (RS):[/B] Cast off 4 sts, knit until there are 8 stitches on right needle, turn and leave rem stitches on a holder.
Work each side of neck separately.

Could anyone tell me what it means to work each side separately.

Thank you in advance.

this is where your neck line starts, so you’ll be working each side (left and right) separately.

that means you’ll have to bind off some as stated, leave one side on a stitch holder or waste yarn, and then work just one side of the neck as your pattern indicates.

i couldn’t find where to download that pattern, just the rowan link with pictures, but the instructions will tell you later on when and how to come back to those unworked stitches and finish up the neckline.

Thank you so much Christopher. I was reading the pattern ahead of myself and stopped at shaping the armholes. I really want to get this right. Will be asking another question about this pattern very soon so pleeeaaase stay with me and hold my hand :aww:

Thank you!

Thank you so much Christopher. I was reading the pattern ahead of myself and stopped at shaping the armholes. I really want to get this right. Will be asking another question about this pattern very soon so pleeeaaase stay with me and hold my hand : D

Thank you!

Going to have to redo this.
The next row of the pattern reads;
[B]Cast off 3 sts, P to end.
Cast off rem 5 sts.
With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, cast of center 15 sts, K to end. Complete to match first side reversing shapings.[/B]
I’m off by 3 stitches and I have no idea what “Complete to match first side reversing shapings means”.
Frustrating but will not give up

Did you start these directions with 39sts on the needle? When you cast off the first 4sts then knit until there are 8sts remaining on the needle, that should give you the correct number of sts for the bind offs on that shoulder.

For the second shoulder, start the bind offs on the purl side and follow the same directions.

Hi and thank you for your help.
I’m back to Shaping the armholes. Pattern reads;
[B]Cast off 5 sts at beg of next 2 rows, 53 st.
Dec 1 st at each end of next 3 rows, then 4 sts following alt rows.=39sts.
Cont straight until armholes measure 23cm/9" ending with RS facing for next row.[/B]
I feel like such a dunce right now but am I measuring the inside arc/curve of the armpit for the 9" ? I did have the 39sts but I think I went wrong with the measurement of the arm.
[B]Really appreciate the help[/B]

No, measure the armhole straight up from the first cast off of 5sts.
See the first figure here.

Okay will do, also when I decrease the 4 stitches should I do an knit together of 5 or bind off 4 stitches?

Thank you sooo much

Here, at the
"Dec 1 st at each end of next 3 rows, [B]then 4 sts following alt rows[/B].=39sts"?
This is not very clearly worded but I think that what they mean is to continue decreasing one stitch at each end of every other row, 4 times. That’s looking at the vest and judging from experience that this shaping should continue in a gradual line. So you would dec at each end of the next 3 rows (rows1,2,3) and then at each end of rows 5,7,9,11. That’s a total decrease of 14sts and it’ll take you from 53sts to 39sts.

Ooooh, okay God I feel stupid :aww:
thank you
again!

I’ve already made these mistakes so that maybe you don’t have to repeat them. We’re all happy to help.

Hi again,
from part of the pattern above;
[B]Dec 1 st at each end of next 3 rows, then 4 sts following alt rows.=39sts.
Cont straight until armholes measure 23cm/9" ending with RS facing for next row[/B]
For continuing straight until armholes measure 23cm/9" should I just continue knitting without the Decrease from beginning and last stitches of working row?

Thank you.

Yes, continue straight or continue even mean to knit without increases or decreases.

You’re the greatest! :yay:
Cannot say “thank you” enough.

Hi again,
I am at this point of the back of the vest pattern;
B; Cast off 4 sts, K until there are 8 sts on right needle, turn and leave remaining sts on a holder.
Work each side of neck separately.[/B]
[B]Next row; Cast off 3 sts P to end. Cast off remaining 5 sts. With RS facing, rejoin yarn to remaining sts, cast off center 15 sts, K to end.
Complete to match first side reversing shapings.[/B]
I have casted off the 4 stitches and I have 8 sts on the right needle and holding 27 sts. When the pattern states " Work Each side of neck separately. I’m confused as to what to do with the 8 sts. Anyone??

You’re to work with only the 8sts that you have on the right needle for now. Leave the remaining 27sts for later.
Turn as you would at the end of a row and cast off 3sts then purl to the end of the row, etc. When you finish with this shoulder, the directions will tell you how to work the center neck sts and the other shoulder.

Thank you! Definitely would not be able to finish this without you :muah:

Happy to help!

Sorry to bother but I have 12 stitches left after binding off 15 sts in the center. The last instruction to the pattern for the back of the vest states to "[B]Complete to match first side reversing shapings.[/B] Should I bind off the last six sts?