How to rip out

:aww: Hi Everyone… I am new to this site
and I am new back to Knitting and find that I remember a lot (after 45 yrs)
but do not know how to go back when I make a mistake. :knitting: i know you have to rip out but when I did I couldn’t pick up the loops. Does anyone hve a practical suggestion on how to go back 5 rows and have everything in control?
thanks so much in advance

have had to do this occasionally.it helped me to put a ‘lifeline’ of contrasting yarn through the stitches of the row before the mistake, then rip back. the stitches are easier to pick up off the yarn and don’t slip away to the previous row, does this make sense? linknit41

yes do you use a needle to thread it through? or ?

If the stitch is not a fancy one I usually just rip right back to where I need to be and then reinsert the needle. If the stitches are hard to pick up you could try a smaller size needle for the picking up and then knit off with your working size. The thing that helped me the most with this is to realize that it didn’t matter how I go them back on, just get them on the needle. I used to worry about the orientation of the stitches because they have to be a certain way to knit them. At least I thought they did, and indeed the orientation matters. But I learned that as you knit the first row of picked up stitches that you observe them carefully (it gets to be second nature) and if the stitch is on the needle backwards you just work into the back loop of the stitch. A life saver.

If the work is a little trickier or harder for some reason rip out to the row before and tink the last row one stitch at a time.

Some people insert the needle itself into a row below and then rip out the stitches. I have never done that except as an experiment and it was pretty easy on st st but harder stuff was not work it to me.

With a life line as I have used it… It is something you insert every now and then (as far back as you are comforable doing over) as insurance. I do it by threading a tapestry needle with a smooth waste yarn (some folks like dental floss) and thread it right through the loops on the needle, leaving a good length of life line on each end of the knitted piece. Then if you have to avail yourself of the life line you just rip back to where the string acts as a needle so to speak and let the string help you insert a needle in that row. Sometimes a smaller needle is still a good idea.

If you were going to do what linkknit41 said you would use a tapestry needle with waste yarn on it for that too.