How to read charts?

I have been knitting for years, but always from a pattern. Now that I have started to conquer socks, I would like to conquer charts now. Is there a place I can read on how to “read” and turn what it says into stitches?

Joanne
future court reporter

OTN: baby blanket
WOTN: baby blanket and socks (I love socks)

Just about any knitting publication that features patterns with charts will give you a simple guide to reading them. Basically, you read it like Hebrew - right to left. You start on the bottom row 1 - right to left. On row two - you go left to right, 3 - right to left and wind up that way. All charts have a legend to tell you what the symbols mean. It used to be easier for me to read the chart and write it out in stitches. Then, I got used to reading charts and see that it really is the easiest way to read an involved pattern.

One tip I learned from my knitting teacher - place a post it directly [I]above [/I]the row you are currently on - causes a lat fewer errors.

Good luck with it!!

Yep, start at the bottom and work your way up.

If you will be knitting “[I]in the round[/I]”, don’t forget that that the even numbered rows are [I]also[/I] read right to left and that it’s all knit as the “Right Side”.

I started my first chart over the weekend and while i was in the middle of it i started another one on a pair of mittens! It’s not as hard as it looks and it’s so much fun to see the pattern come to life. GO FOR IT!