How to Read A Pattern

I am starting my first major project. I am very excited but need some basic help. The pattern calls for a total of 129 stitches per row. When the pattern says k1, p1 it is easy to count the stitches. How do I count the following?

Row 1: p1, *k2tog, yf, k1, yf, s1, k1, psso, p1; rep from *

Is that 6 stitches from * until end?

Row 5: k1, yf, s1, k1, psso, *p1, k2tog, yf, k1, yf, s1, k1, psso; rep from * ending p1, k2tog, yf, k1

What about this?

HELP!
:thinking:

I’m editing my post. See - this is why I should never try to answer a question when I’ve only had 3 hours of sleep. :rofling: I didn’t answer any of your questions right, did I? :rofling:

On your row 1, six stitches are used in between the and you end up with six stitches with each repeat of the . In other words, the stitch count does not change. This is because the increases balance out the decreases. Each time there is a ‘yf’ (also known as a ‘yo’) a new stitch is created and each time there is a K2tog or a sl1 k1 psso it decreases one stitch. There are the same # of increases as there are decreases in both of the rows that you have mentioned so the stitch count at the beginning and end of your row will not change. Hope that this partly answers your question.

Thanks Knitqueen. That’s exactly what I was asking! So it is a total of six stitches! I think I’ve got it.

Ask away if you have further questions.

And knitaddict, I read your response before you edited it and you should have left it!! It was also an important piece of advice for learning how to read and understand a pattern. You did a good job! :thumbsup:

I would try to put it back, but my brain is so fuddled by lack of sleep. lol TY for the compliment, though. :heart: