How To Make?

I saw this on Pinterest and would love to make one for myself. It looks very simple but how do I know amount of stitches needed, when to insert the neckline and how to make a neckline? I can’t find a similar free pattern online.

Inline image 2

1 Like

Here’s the pattern. It’s only $3.50 and probably well worth the money.

Thanks Jan, and y it would be worth the $6 here, however I am not able to purchase, this is why I was searching for one free. Thanks.

Basically you’re looking at two rectangles with a neck opening in the middle after they’re joined. If you know the measurements you need for it then do a swatch with the yarn you want to use and try different size needles until you’re happy with the fabric. Figure your sts/in. Your sts/in x the number of inches for the width will be your cast on for the bottom edge. (Cast on both pieces on one long needle and work them at the same time to be sure of the same length would be my approach at this point.) Work even to an inch or so short of the total desired length. Find a free set in sleeve sweater pattern and shape both pieces per the instructions for the back neck, bind off and seam the shoulders or leave the stitches live and use a 3 needle bind off. Pick up and knit around the neck and work in rib then use a stretchy bind off. Pick up stitches along the edes and work a border with buttonholes. OR work a nonrolling bottom border before starting the main stockinette portion and work an nonrolling border of about an inch on each side. You’d need to know where you want the buttonholes and work them at the appropriate places.

My favorite stretchy bind off today is: Stretchy Swing Needle Bind-off (standard version ) by Tillybuddy
Tomorrow I might have another. :grin:

3 Likes

Perfect! Thank you, this is very helpful, thank you for taking the time to explain a pattern outline for me. Very kind of you. Merry Christmas GrumpyGramma! :smile:

You’re welcome. I really hope it helps. That seems to be a popular pattern and whenever I see it all I think is, it’s two rectangles!

There is what I would consider an easier way to do it but it involves short rows and a technique for starting shoulder “seams” for a seamless, top down sweater that I’ve learned and love. If you’re not familiar with the concept I won’t add to the confusion now but maybe stick it away in the back of your mind for future exploration. Happy knitting and Merry Christmas to you, too!

PS: Please don’t let anyone know I was helpful; I have my grumpy rep to maintain. :blush::yum:

PS to above. Make your side border wider than an inch, probably.

Cute! I was figuring on just 2 rectangles but I like the neck line and sculped shoulders adds to the sweater. You would be excellent at creating patterns. It’ll be our little secret GrumpyGramma :wink: Thanks again, I’ve copied this all down and ready to tackle it!

I would be interested in your easier method too in case I have some trouble figuring it out; inexperienced knitter talking, learning on my own and knittinghelp.com. I always appreciate any and all help, advice, support. Thank you!

Nope, no pattern writing for me. I specialize in make it up as I go along. I get lost and have trouble following even simple patterns, trying to write one out…:dizzy_face:

I’d use inexpensive yarn for this myself. That way if I couldn’t figure out how to make it work I wouldn’t have a lot invested. I think you can do it but worrying about wasting “good” yarn won’t help. If it’s for a child then machine wash and dry acrylic isn’t such a bad idea anyhow. Happy knitting.

1 Like

Hi GrumpyGramma,

This is sure to make you GrumpyI :scream: I got so frustrated trying to figure out number of sts and making it work and gave up. I spent this evening trying to find anything similar and found this pattern as close as I could get and here I am confused again. :scream:

http://www.diaryofacreativefanatic.com/2015/09/needlecrafts-knit-free-instructions-for-sleeveless-vest-with-turtleneck.html

And it’s for beginner’s!! Geesh! Anyhow may I ask you what it means – ‘over’?
K1, P1 rib over 6 sts, K over next 70 sts, work K1, P1 rib over last 6 sts? The word ‘over’ is throwing me.

Does it simply mean to K1, P1 for 6 sts Then K the next 70 sts, then K1, P1 for the last 6 sts?

Well you do a good job explaining in detail. I agree, I’m a pro at ripping out! :persevere:

It means you work 6 sts in k1, p1 rib for the first 6 and last 6 sts. Just keep the rib pattern you already have going up the sides. Hint: if you look at the diagram you can see they have the lines indicating rib continuing up the sides, that’s an indicator you can look for in some patterns. It’s not always reliable but can help.

I’ve been working on the cast on for something myself and think it might go in time out for a while. lol

1 Like

Thanks. But if you get answers from someone else they will probably be more helpful. This is where I learned to knit and my mentors are here.

Thanks for your meaning. I am fighting an illness and have trouble understanding instructions. If you can be patient and help me it would be so appreciated!

Ok, I will follow your instructions, the lines on the pattern are confusing but maybe once I get going it’ll look right. Does the neck look like it goes down in a v? Is that what these instructions are creating now?

Always a good lesson, it grates on your nerves set it aside for a while. I do that a lot! :confused:

your help has gotten me through a few projects. I don’t get a lot of people responding. I’d appreciate as much help as possible. Maybe my posts aren’t worded right to get more answers?

PJGirl, your questions are quite well worded and clear. GG is giving you the best, most helpful answer and explaining it very well. I think that if there were disagreement, you would see more replies.
If something’s not clear, you can always add more questions. Your questions are always welcome and we’re all willing to try different ways to answer until you’re comfortable.

Yes, GG has been very helpful. Thank you so much. I thought maybe I was posting stupid questions, so thank you. This makes me feel very welcome. thank you salmonmac. :relieved:

Hello,
I just run into this

I love this poncho.

1 Like

Thank you Senka, just what I wanted to knit, too bad its crochet, I don’t know how. But thank you for your help.