How to make inset pockets when knitting top down?

I’m working on a seamless raglan cardigan worked from the top down. I don’t have a pattern; I’m just making it up as I go along. I’m at the point now where I want to make inset pockets, but just can’t figure out how to go about it. All the patterns I can find that include inset pockets are for sweaters made from the bottom up. Can anyone tell me the best way to accomplish my goal of inset pockets knitted top down?

Patchworkcat (a knitter who learned in her teens how to cast on and knit, but is rediscovering the craft at a much (MUCH) older age now)

:thinking: I’ve never done this, but off the top of my head–What if you were to get to where the pockets were and just knit the pocket liners where you want them, onto the existing knitting, with the rest of the sweater on hold. You’d bind off the liners, put the rest of the sweater back on the needles, and cast on over the sections where the pocket liners were.

You’d end up with the sweater having openings for the pockets, with the pocket liners waiting to be stitched to the inside.

I hope I’ve made myself clear. I think it could actually work.

Thank you so much for your reply, Ingrid. It certainly does sound like it should work. I’ll give it a try and let you know.

Patchworkcat