How to make a ruffle?

I am making a baby hat and would like to put a ruffle along the edge by picking up stitches. None of my books tell me how to make a ruffle. I can figure it’s done by increases but don’t know the proportions. I’m using a worsted yarn. Thanks in advance.

I would experiment a little. Maybe pick up stitches as usual just to get them on and then increase in each stitch, knit a few rows and take a look. If you don’t like it you can take it out w/o hurting the had. You’ll just have well-defined spaces for picking up again.

Nicky Epstein’s “Knitting on the Edge” has sooo many cute ruffles in it, I can’t decide which one to share. :smiley:

Oops, I just realized it might not be a good idea to post copyrighted stuff on a public board…wouldn’t want to get Amy in trouble! I will pm you!

Hi,
When I am doing ruffles at the end of something I do a k1- p1- k1 in each stitch… Then do a regular stocking stitch for however wide you want your ruffle to be… Then just Bind Off !!
Walla… " A Ruffle" :slight_smile:

oooh, Knitting on the Edge is a good book. I recommend just buying it to get a ruffle that will work. It has a bunch of other good stuff too.