How to make a hat smaller.

I made the Agathis hat, came out beautiful one issue, it’s WAY too big for me. How can I calculate how many stitches to use to make smaller, or should I use bigger needles? It calls for 132 sts, US #4 needles for the brim and US #6 for the body. I’m in love with this pattern, I just want it to fit better.

This hat? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/agathis

Yes, that is the hat.

Does your pattern have only one size? Check your gauge on the large hat. If your gauge is too few stitches per inch than the required gauge then that is why the hat is too big.
To make the hat smaller you will need to use smaller needles and/or thinner yarn. Measure your head circumference. Measure the hat you made and measure how many stitches per inch you knitted in that hat,ie the gauge. With those numbers calculate how many stitches per inch you will have to knit per inch to make your hat fit you. Knit a swatch in the round and with smaller needles. You may have to do that a few times until you get the gauge you need. One problem is that if you have to go down several sizes of needles to get that gauge you might not like the density of the fabric you get. I hope this helps.

1 Like

The pattern is for Large only, I used the smallest needles I have which are the 4 and 6. I’ll have to do some digging and see if I can find it in a smaller size or maybe play around with the pattern a bit to see what I can do.

You could try working the hat with only the size 4 needles. Do the stockinette swatch suggested in the pattern with the 4s and see if you get the required 20sts/4".
Alternatively, change to a lighter weight yarn but still do the gauge swatch. It’ll save you time in the long run.

I wouldn’t change the stitch count because the pattern is so detailed. I’d try a smaller needle or lighter weight yarn. DK would probably work.

1 Like