How to Knit this scarf

I want to knit a scarf that look like this :

I just want to know …the number of the needles, what kind of Yarn and which pattern to use. So I can knit a scarf like that …

Thanks In Advance !

Jamie …:wink:

You can make it out of whatever yarn you like and the right size needles for that yarn - don’t use small needles for thick yarn, or large ones for thin yarn. As to the pattern stitch, I’m not certain what it is, maybe some sort of rib. I think if you did a k1 p1 rib, it may come out something like it.

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”][COLOR="#300090"]Isotoner Men’s Striped Knit Scarf

It is described as a “stylish honeycomb striped knit scarf.” Dimentions are give as 64 inches by 10 inches.

You can see it for yourself at http://www.totes-isotoner.com/product/isotoner/men/knit+hats+&+scarves/isotoner+striped+knit+scarf.do they have a nice zoom-in viewer and three * images using different colored samples. * [before edit was “different color images.”]

It is definately a rib pattern but changes from k2 p2 every 7 to 9 rows or so to a p2, k2 pattern. The ribbing makes a “honeycomb” pattern. (knit 2, purl 2) repeat for desired width (being a multiple of four stitches as suseeq pointed out.)

I’m still in the “beginning knit” group, if it were crochet I could write up a pattern with all the bells and whistles.

– Jack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Very impressive, Jack!

Thanks so much Suzeeq and Jack !

To Jack ! …

It is definately a rib patteTrn but changes from k2 p2 every 7 to 9 rows or so to a p2, k2 pattern.

What is k2 and p2 mean … :shrug: would you please explain a little bit more …

Thanks so much !!

That’s Knit 2, then Purl 2…

Knit 2 sts, purl 2 stitches across the row for about 4-5 rows over a stitch number that can be divided by 4 (24, 28, 32…). Then reverse it and purl 2 sts, knit 2 sts across the row for 4-5 rows. Repeat that stitch pattern.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]I think I would try 2 rows of k2,p1. then 2 rows of p1, k2 and see if that would work better then k2,p2. [/COLOR][/FONT]

You ROCK Jack!

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”][COLOR="#300090"]JamieN,

I’ll chalk it up to beginner’s luck. :cool: Suzeeq did all the hard work.

I added a zoomed-in image from the navy sample to my previoius post. They use a rather fine thread/yarn but then it also [B]would[/B] be machine knitted.

So, Suzeeq, (or anyone) if I cast on twenty sts for a swatch of this pattern…

(knit 2 sts, purl 2 sts) Repeat four more times, turn. Then what? Is it the reverse order on the wrong side (purl 2, knit 2) across?

See, I told you all I was a beginner.

– Jack[/COLOR][/FONT]

On a stitch number that can be divided by 4 (20, 28, 36, etc) you do the same thing on all rows, k2, p2, to get a rib for about 6 rows. Then you can reverse it to do p2, k2 on all rows, for 6 rows. And switch back.

However, I think this pattern is more complicated than that…

Looks like it’s k2 p2 for the 6 rows, but then it switches so it’s p1, k2, p2, k2, p2, etc, ending in p1. Or it may be k1, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, etc, ending in k1; both those split the 2 sts at the ends. And it may even be a twisted cable kind of pattern too. Try out some of the variation on some leftover yarn and see which comes closest.