How To Knit A Sweater From The Neck Down DVD

I got this http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/itemid_80273/tools_display DVD for Christmas, and I have a few questions.

1. After it explains the increases, it says “Continue until you have the following number of sts between the front and back panels (where larger amount of stitches)- Change to larger 24” needle when stiches become tight." So do I count the number of stiches that are ON the back/front panel or the stiches between the back and front panels (the sleeves)?

2. It explains how to do the decreases on the sleeves, but It’s not clear to me when you stop decreasing and work even. It says “Slide stiches from your yarn scrap holder onto the larger 16” needle, pick up half the stitches from under the arm, place a marker, pick up the remainder of the sts under the arm, and knit all sts for 5 rounds. On the 6th round: K1, K2 Tog, K to 3 sts before marker, K2 sts Tog using the back loop, K1, transfer marker and continue to knit, decreasing on every 6th round decrease 2 at on each side of the marker, as above."

Thanks in advance!

I imagine you keep decreasing until the sleeves are long enough, but if it seems like they are getting too narrow, measure your wrist and multiply that number by your gauge in stitches per inch to get the minimum number of stitches you want to have on the needles when you do the cuff. You don’t want to decrease to fewer than that number or the cuff will be too tight.

Oops, I forgot your first question. Your directions not worded very well, are they? Usually you keep increasing until the work is a little longer than your armpit level when you try it on.

Thanks! Is there anybody that has used this DVD before? If so, what did you do?

I have the DVD, but, well, put it on the shelf because I hated the project sweater.

I’d go to the DVD menu and listen to what she says for the cap sleeve part. You really need the DVD on, as she gives better verbal instructions than what’s in the, ACK, 4 pages of instructions. She actually tells you to refer to the DVD. Do you have the stitch markers in the correct location as prescribed in the paragraph before this one:

“Continue until you have the following number of sts between the front and back panels (where larger amount of stitches)- Change to larger 24” needle when stiches become tight."

After you get x amount of stitches, you’re suppose to knit until the piece measures x length. Then you will separate for the sleeve stitches by placing the stitches on waste yarn.

1.When you have too many stiches on the 16 inch circular that it’s hard to keep them on the needles is when you’ll switch to the 24 inch circular.
What yarn are you using, as the DVD project sweater was just too bulky for my taste, and I don’t know how it would knit up in a finer gauge yarn.

1. You knit & decrease for the sleeves until desired length before you add the ribbing. So, in essence, how ever long you want the sleeves to be. Although the pattern is for a short sleeved sweater, you could continue knitting the sleeves for a long sleeved sweater by decreasing until you have the desired circumference for the sleeves, then knit even until you begin the ribbing/seed stitch for the cuff.