How to keep tract of Single Seed Stitch when decreasing edge

Hi,
I have your CD and have appreciated your site and forum greatly.

Now I am stuck. I am making a great asymetrical coat from Helen Hamann on Elann.com in Single Seed Stitch.

I have not been able to keep track of the pattern as it calls for decreasing each end on every RS row. Here is the text from the pattern:

The pattern is:
Row 1: (RS) K1 F&B on each stitch (doubling number of sts)
Row 2: K2 tog, p2tog, k2tog; repeat to end restoring number of sts
Row 3: As Row 1
Row 4: P2tog, k2tog, p2tog; repeat to end

Back:
With larger needle, CO 140 sts. Change to smaller needle and work in single seed stitch patt all sts, except the first and last sts of every now which are always worked in ST st, dec’g 1 st at beg and end of every RS row as foll: K1 ssk, work in patt to 3 sts before end of row, k2tog, k1.

So, the method calls for decreasing one stitch on each end on every RS row. What is a good way to keep the pattern while decreasing?

Thanks for any advice.

Granny Judy

With seed stitch, it’s best to be able to look at your stitches and know what you should do next rather than depend on the pattern.

If there is a purl bump on the left needle then you should knit it. If there is a knit V on the left needle, you should purl.

I have knit several test pieces and have not been able to see it yet, but I will keep trying if that is the only way. Thanks for the encouragement.
Judy