How to increase

Hi everyone,
I’ve been knitting for just over a year and a half now and have been working on creating my own patterns for about 6 months. I’m currently working on converting a flat piece to be worked in the round.

What would be the best way to go from 120sts (30 divided between 4 dpns) to 184sts (46 x 4 dpns), in 1 round, in P2, K2 ribbing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

PS. Needles 1 and 3 start with P2 while 2 and 4 start with K2.

Hi and welcome to KH!
Your knitting looks beautiful and the pattern is intriguing.
That’s a very quick increase of more than half the current stitch number (120 + 64). You would have to increase every other stitch and in some cases every stitch to accomplish it.
What are you designing?

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:
Oh wow. I was afraid of that. Do you think it would make more sense to increase over two rows instead? Would the increases pop out like a sore thumb in the final product?

I’m making a slouchy cable and lace beret for my mum-in-law. She was the one who taught me so I wanted to give back, so to speak :slight_smile:

Yes, I was wondering about spreading out the increases. You could increase in the k2 rib in one round and in the p2 sts on the next. Then, if you’re planning to start the lace pattern, work in the extra 4 increase on the same row.

So would that be 4 extra rows to be added?

1. First I ncrease row, 2. Regular rib row, 3. Second increase row, 4. Regular rib row and then into the pattern?

You could do that or you could increase on consecutive rows but it depends on what you like. Maybe try it out on a small swatch to see which looks better to you.

Gotcha. I’ll try that and see which I prefer. Thanks for the suggestion.