How to increase in pattern, twisted rib pattern stich? Please help, I'm lost.... :|

Hi ladies, maybe somebody can hep me!

I have started this pattern ( The Quick Knit 1940’s Style Sweater )a few weeks ago and I have some trouble with the in pattern increase. We are suppose to increase IN PATTERN at every six rows. I don’t seem to do the right thing, be cause my twisted cable pattern is now all over the place. I am not sure where to increase and with what type of stich… PLEASE HELP!

I was hopping that somebody could maybe explain to me, where, when and how should I increase in pattern.

here is the pattern instructions:

The Twisted Rib Pattern Stitch:
Row 1: p2, k2tog (but leave the stitches on the left needle – knit a regular knit stitch through the “first” stitch – drop the used stitches off of the needle now), k1. Repeat from to end of row.
Row 2: p3 k2. Repeat from to end of row.
Row 3: p2, k1, k2tog (but leave the stitches on the left needle – knit a regular knit stitch through the “first” stitch – drop th used stitches off of the needle now). Repeat from to end of row.
Row 4: p3 k2. Repeat from to end of row.
BODY PIECES (both front and back are identical)
Using 6mm (size 10 US) needle, CO 62 stitches.
Row 1: p1, follow twisted rib pattern stitch until last stitch, p1, turn work.
Row 2: k1, follow twisted rib pattern stitch until last stitch, k1, turn work.
Continue this pattern until you have knitted 3 inches of fabric.
Every six rows, add a stitch on EITHER SIDE of the row on the right side of the fabric, until you have 72 stitches. (you may do this IN pattern, or not, depending on preference.)

I hope that someone can help me!! this is my first sweater pattern!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to KH!
You can either do these increases in pattern or you can just add them as reverse stockinette stitch (purl on the RS, knit on the WS). If you want to add in pattern, you can do a make one (M1), one stitch in from the ends of the rows. Here’s a video for M1:

You could also use your favorite increase if you prefer. Keep the increases in reverse stockinette until you have enough for a pattern repeat, p2, k2tog twist, k1 (5sts). Then you can work an extra twisted repeat.
The thing to keep in mind is that you want to align the columns of twisted stitches even though you’ve added to the edge stitch number. That’s the most important thing for this pattern.

ohhhh thank you for all the great info. It helped me a lot!!!
I wasn’t doing the right increase… now I understand better what I am doing! hehehe

I really appreciate yopur kind help! Look at the picture below, it is not perfect but, it looks pretty good! I’m almost done with the first panel.

Thanks a lot!!!

82 Likes, 7 Comments - Gorgeously Vintage (@gorgeouslyvintage) on Instagram: “It is coming along!!! Knitting Challenge! ❄✨💛 This is my first attemp to knit a sweater from a…”

Wow, it’s lovely and the color is fabulous. I love that blue. Very nice work!

1 Like