How to get the same tension at all times

I am a complete beginner and have been using large needles and wool for my first blanket and found that the rows aren’t very straight. There are no holes but it’s wonky.

Is this to do with my tension? Has anyone got any tips on how to keep consistent tension?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Welcome! It may very well be your tension, but the best way to make it even is to practice. Practice, practice, practice. There is no simple trick to it unfortunately.

Are you using a pattern? What stitch are you doing? What kind of yarn? (I mean wool, acrylic, cotton) Often the fabric will be evened out a bit with blocking or washing.

Hello,

I think I am using acrylic yarn, I bout it from B & M just to do practicing with, I’m not using a pattern i’m just doing the same stitch over and over to get used to the finger work. I believe this creates a garter stitch.

I have read about people blocking their pieces and often wondered what it was?

Acrylic doesn’t block easily, but it can make something look nice for a gift. I usually just toss acrylic in the washer and dryer, but check your labels.

As for tension… I think at this point for you it’s just practice that will help. That’s why many people just cast on 30 stitches or so and just knit, knit, knit. It can be a scarf in the end. :slight_smile:

1 Like