how to get even numbered rows

When I knit the even numbered rows are always on the wrong side. How do I get the even numbered rows on the right side of knitting. Say their are 10 rows in a pattern of one color then change color on row 11. I can’t seem to end them on the right side, Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless a pattern specifies otherwise, RS is always odd numbers and RS is always even numbers. If you’re wanting to change colors beginning on a RS, it should be an odd numbered row. Knit 10 rows would end in a WS, then change to the new color for row 11.

I always thought of it in terms of an old-fashioned typewriter. The RS would be where you’re typing and the WS would be where you return the carriage to the start of a new row.

1 Like

Are you going garter stitch? Or stockinette stitch?

What kind of stitch are you using?

Garter stitch through the whole project. Thanks.

Garter stitch is the same both front and back. So choose which side you want to be the front and put a safety pin or locking stitch marker. Then you’ll which is the front or back quickly. I’ve been knitting and even I do that with garter stitch. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

If you use the long-tail, one needle or thumb method of casting on, the tail of yarn you’re left with will always be on the right of an odd-numbered row.

If you use the cable or two needle method of casting on, the tail of yarn you’re left with will always be on the left side of an odd-numbered row.

Gillian

thanks for the reply. Dorie