How to follow along large pattern

Hi ho fellow knitters,
So I am starting a very complex and long pattern with 4 charts and some have 60 rows. I was wondering if there are any tricks to help you keep your place on the pattern page. I did see one video with a lady who had long strips of highlighted tape but cannot seem to find anything like that for sale. Any tips appreciated!

1 Like

I like highlighter tape and post-it notes to keep track of rows. There are also cell phone apps that will do this if you like. I usually keep a row counter going to keep track of total rows just in case all else fails.
Once you’ve established the pattern over several rows, it becomes easier to see where the cables are going and you’ll rely less on at least some of the charts.
It’s a stunning wrap. Have fun with it!

1 Like

That’s lovely. I’ve not used it myself but have seen blue painters tape recommended as it’s removable.

That’s an amazing pattern.

1 Like

There’s also washi tape - I have some slim rolls (3 or 5mm wide) I bought on Etsy and you can get them in different colours.

3 Likes

I use a knitter’s pride magnetic board but any magnetic board will do, and hippo magnetic color strips that I bought online. I have a small magnetic board I bought at Target and attached to a small clipboard to take with me with portable projects and I just fold the page in half on it.

3 Likes

I will try this as something very new to me

That’s what I use a magnetic board with a metal strip to mark my current row. It’s a game changer.

Try as I might, I cannot follow a large complicated pattern that jumps back and forth between pages without getting lost. My solution is to retype the pattern on a sequential basis (in large type so my fading eyes can read it easily). Takes a bit of time, but pays off when I’m knitting.

I’m with boncamp transfer the pattern to the computer cut & paste what you need transfer to phone or tablet or print pack into knitting bag and you are good to go.